Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

IMHO, an original Model of 1922 MI, issue rifle in original condition is in the top 3 or 4 of hard to find 1922 variances. Most were returned to Springfield and upgraded to M2 configuration. Having the original M1 bolt serialized to the receiver means that at this rifle escaped being upgrades. Sad news is that if original without all the mods, it would be a $3K+ rifle.

Art
    Last edited by artd; 10-18-2021 at 06:38.

Mine was found in a similar condition, but with further modifications. It still uses an MI bolt assembly, along with an MI magazine, but the bolt handle has been modified for scope use. Mine came with a one piece base, using the original arsenal drilled holes in the forward ring, and the rear bridge drilled to accept the rear screw of the base. The barrel has been drilled and tapped for a scope base, I assume at the same time the forward ring was done.
    Mine came in a maple stock, and I've since placed it into an M2 stock that I found that was inlet for a Lyman 48, which I installed after I removed the glass. Now that my vision is deteriorating, I'll probably have to go back to the glass. At some point, I'll likely have to upgrade to the MII bolt and magazine just to have some parts availability, as has been mentioned, the MI stuff is made of unobtainium these days, or at least beyond what I'm willing to spend.
    Oh, one other thing, my rifle's barrel was apparently turned and shortened, and had a ramped and hooded front sight silver soldered. Very nicely done, but, well.... all things considered, the rifle is beyond being a cost effective restoration, and I'll just take it out and enjoy it along with my Model 52.springfield m1922.jpg

7B3E852E-1EC0-4D9A-A78B-D9A99250955E.jpgAE649184-F0F4-4940-88C0-35FF4122DBBE.jpgFinally got it to the ranges and shot a 6 shot group at 25 yards. I did not have a steady rest ir it might have been a one holer? Used PMC “match”.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 11-02-2021 at 09:25.