Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default steel cased 7,62mm L C 56

here is a photo of the following:

left: steel case 7,62mm headstamp LC 54 with NATO cross

middle AP 7,62mm headstamp LC 54

right: 22/7,62mm headstamp WCC 53P1010049_0045_045.jpgP1010050_0046_046.jpg

In late 1943 it was decided we were heading for a huge brass shortage. Copper was in demand like never before. The military then decided in case the shortage did happen, ( it never did) that steel case be made as an acceptable replacement for brass. Since we were at war there was no reason not to try. Steel case had drawbacks. When fired at night it was large amounts of metal particles would come out the bore glowing. Not good at night for sure. While the military felt it was caused by the powders being used and changed them out. The problem was lessened but not stopped. But ammo was needed so they contracted Evens Chrysler to made the carbine ammo as they were already making the .45acp. Billions and billons of rounds were made and all went right into spam cans. It was never issued to our troops as no shortage of brass happened. Steel case stayed here in the states and was finally approved for training by the Marines in early 1946. We gave away most of it to our allies when they received weapons and of course, steel case ammo.

3. Default

Steel case .45 will break the extractor on M1911 as I broke a few on mine.
    GOM

And then there were the steel pennies. I have an uncirculated set from the 3 US mints, got it as a kid from my father.

Default WW2 license plates

They used cardboard/soybean mixture for the license plates to save the steel tooP1010010_0006_006.jpgP1010011_0007_007.jpg

6. Default

22/7.62

? Never heard of that.

More of the story: These license plates belonged to a friend of my father. He was a policeman from 1930
    to 1951 when he retired. The 95 was his badge number and 934 was his house address. When he retired
    he was given a choice of a new watch or he could keep his service revolver. He kept the revolver and once
    in awhile when we asked, he would show it to us kids. He died in Arizona at age 95 years old