Default what do I need for 1/2 inch adjustable windage sights on my garand

howdy , what do I need to buy to
    place 1/2 inch adjustable windage sights on my garand ??

please post, many thanks, satan

Blog Entries

find a set of NM sights,

hi , I am not up on NM sight can you please assit me

many thanks, satan

You need an NM2A sight base which has 5/16"x 64 female threads and an NM windage knob with the same 5/16" x 64 male threads to get half minute windage. To get half minute elevation you need the eccentric hooded NM aperture. Standard service sights have 5/16"x32 pitch threads. Some aftermarket outfits have milled the four ears off service windage knobs and cut eight grooves in them with a ball detent installed in the receiver to obtain the half minute windage as NM2A bases and knobs become increasingly hard to find.
    J.J.

Blog Entries

and don't for get the front sight

Blog Entries

Wish I were good enough to tell the difference to "need" 1/2" sights.

hi guys , what is the difference between a NM2A & NM1 ??
    sorry to be a pest, many thanks, satan

Blog Entries

not sure what you mean by NM1?

just get the NM/2A and you will be good

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    Wish I were good enough to tell the difference to "need" 1/2" sights.
    If you don't know what they are, you probably don't need them. The whole intricate workings are pretty cool.

Here's a better explanation:

A. The two aperture assemblies are identical except for the eyepieces which have different peep hole diameters. The aperture with the .0595 in. peep hole will be installed as standard with the .0520 diameter aperture available as an alternate.
    The hooded eyepiece is designed to eliminate glare and reflections on the sight aperture, and to provide 1/2 minute changes in elevation. Each eyepiece is selectively fitted and matched with its individual aperture. You should not attempt to disassemble the aperture assembly or to change eyepieces on an aperture.

The peep hole is .002in. vertically eccentric with the other diameters of the eyepiece. Thus rotating the eyepiece 180 degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise raises and lowers the line of sight. Two spring-loaded balls in the eyepiece engage a vertical "v" notch in the face of the aperture to retain the eyepiece in each position. The position of the eyepiece is indicated by a notch at the rear face of the eyepiece.

Each click of the elevation knob gives a change of 1 minute. Rotating the eyepiece so that the indicator notch is at the top moves the point of impact of the bullet up 1/2 minute. With the indicator notch at the bottom, the point of impact of the bullet will be moved down 1/2 minute. In operation you would use the elevation knob to get just above or just below your desired point of impact, and then rotate the eyepiece up to get an additional 1/2 minute of elevation or down to lose a 1/2 minute.

B. The National Match sight base marked "NM/2A" is undercut to accept the hooded eyepiece. The 64 pitch thread of this sight base and of the National Match windage knob produce a 1/2 minute change in windage for each click of the knob. Thus the National Match Rear Sight is capable of 1/2 minute sight changes for both windage and elevation.

C. The National Match front sight has a blade width of .065 -.005, and is identified by the letters "NM" and the numbers "062" on its right side. The width of the sight blade of the standard M1 or M14 rifle is .084 -.010.
    Last edited by dryheat; 07-06-2021 at 05:58.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.