Default any articles of books on how to bed a 1903 Springfield

hi guys , are there any articles of books on how to bed a 1903 Springfield
    rifle , soon I will be replacing the semi pistol grip stock on my 1903 ,
    any help would be appreciated, many thanks, satan

Glass or no glass? Glass is of course easier.

Years ago I bedded two Mike Kokolus stocks, a GG and a C, and what was most time consuming was getting my milled trigger guard to get close enough to the receiver to prevent the follower from hanging up in the gap. That's what I'd watch for, the trigger guard fit. Beyond that, no gap on the front recoil lug, and relieve a bit behind the receiver tang. Slight downward pressure by the barrel at the stock tip also. Beyond that, some amount of hand work depending on your parts and the stock. At the time Kokolus was one of the more respected repos but even his stocks took time.

For finishing the stock soaked in RLO in a big trash bag wrapped tight for week or so followed by a long drip dry. I like RLO for '03s because when it finally hardens it looks right.
    Last edited by togor; 07-02-2021 at 10:18.

Blog Entries

brownells sells the glass you need, and they likely have an article or 3 in the Gunsmith Kink's series of books,

be sure to use plenty of release agent, and clay if needed

do the trigger guard first,
    let it set, then remove and clean up,
    then do the action,

be careful tho, if you are going to use it in a vintage Match,, they glassing is will make it illegal for comps, (unless they have changed the rules since I last shot a Vintage Springfield Match)

and of course, you need to shoot it first, many 03's and 03A3's did not really need to be bedded