Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krag Carbine ID

Default Krag Carbine ID

Hello everyone, I am a new user and have signed up primarily to pick your brains on Krag rifle knowledge. I just bought a 1898 Krag carbine. I first thought I had an original carbine but after reading various articles I now wonder if I have a cut down rifle. I know virtually nothing about Krag rifles and would appreciate any and all knowledge and comments on my gun. The gun is stamped with ?U.S., Model 1898, Springfield Armory, 101077?. The subject is muddled by so many variations and modifications. I have included pictures and can include more if needed. Thanks, Ray

Some more details on my M1898 carbine. The action is in great shape but the barrel is very bad. The cartouche says 1902. I’m considering relining the barrel as I would rather have a gun I can shoot rather than just a wall hanger. Thoughts? Ray
    Last edited by rayncindy1@aol.com; 06-21-2021 at 09:23.

Ray - Your Krag, #101077, is a cut-down model 1896 rifle, that was assembled with a 30 inch barrel, around April to July, 1898.

There are no carbines near your serial number. Your front-sight has the banded-base of a "1903 Springfield Rifle" sight. (Often a sure sign that a Krag barrel has been shortened).

The "model 1896" marking is often stamped very deep on a Krag receiver and is easily misread.

Your stock is a model 1898 stock that has been altered to accept a model 1896 action. Springfield Armory did not do this modification!

Model 1896 and model 1898 actions have lots of differences and many parts do not interchange.
    The most noticeable difference is the bolt handle 'recess' of the stock and action.

Lining your Krag barrel would cost about twice what your Krag is worth. It is not an economically sound option. It would not significantly raise the resale value of your Krag.

Ray's 'homemade' bolt-handle recess:

Rays Krag.jpg

IMHO - A used barrel or new Criterion barrel would make more economic sense than 're-lining'.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-22-2021 at 01:33.

Thanks Butlersrangers, I had begun to doubt the originality of this gun (not that it matters to me) but it’s nice to know what it really is. It has an odd rear sight, I assume it’s not Krag. What is the value of a gun like this?

5. Default

I've seen Krag sporters going on Gunbroker for $300-500ish. Given the need to replace the barrel, subtract a couple hundred or so. Mostly looking at the value of the receiver and bolt.

But I think it's important also to recognize the value the receiver holds by virtue of being an 1896. There will be some cost involved, but barring some unseen significant defects, you can certainly use what you've got as the basis of a very capable bolt gun that is 'not a firearm.'

Ray - Your Krag was altered by civilians to make it useful for hunting. Such modified Krags are generally priced at around $300, but, they are kind of tough to sell.

Your rear-sight is a typical sporting-type with a 'stepped-riser' to adjust elevation. Such sights were made by numerous commercial companies.
    A 'band', with a dovetail, holds your sight to the barrel. A company named "Micro" use to make such a device.

Your barrel and front sling-swivel are secured to the stock with a 'discrete' barrel-band. A company owned by Leroy Rice (of Elyria, Ohio) use to make such a 'band' from the 1920's to the 1960's.

It is worthwhile giving your rifle's bore an aggressive cleaning. Some dark Krag bores shoot surprisingly well.

Rays Krag2.jpgrice-ring1_001.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-22-2021 at 01:12.

I have given it an aggressive cleaning and I think it looks good enough to shoot. One area of the bore close to the action is quite rough. The rest of the barrel is significantly better. It looks good enough to shoot as soon as I get some ammo. Thanks for your observations and advice. Ray

The corrosive priming, used in early U.S. .30-40 cartridges, was especially rough on the barrel rifling immediately in front of the chamber.
    As I hinted, some rough barrels still shoot accurately. Most Krags do well with 180 grain Remington and Winchester-Western factory loads.

A gentleman advised me to load some low-power loads with lead projectiles for the first few test firings.

Congratulations! You have what sounds like a fine Krag that will serve well in the woods/fields for hunting and as well give pleasure when used at the range. Given that the bore is a bit rough, consider using loading and using 180 gr. flat based bullets round nosed bullets beginning at starting load levels and increasing the powder charge as determined by pressure signs and accuracy on target dictate. If the muzzle crown is a bit less than perfect due to wear, etc., a few minutes of polishing with a brass screw and valve lapping compound will be useful as it will very likely improve on target results. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."