Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Belgian / Argentine Mauser Rounds

Most of these rifles use the 7.65X53 cartridge. However, I have seen cartridges described as 7.65X54 rounds. Are these actually different cartridges or just mistakes in listings ? Thanks in advance for your input.

I still shoot a 91 Argentine Mauser and to be honest I don't think it would be enough difference to worry about. The 54 part might be a designator to the pressure of the load more than a length thing. The 98 version of the Argentine 08 or 09 Mauser is a 98 Action and much stronger than the 89 or 91. So I guess I'm of no help in answering your question.

3. Default

I recall reading that the "53" dimension was actually 53 point something, so some round it up and some round it down. I believe they are the same.
    Last edited by Kerwin Law; 06-21-2021 at 07:44.

Ya, could be, designators of things ain't always what it is in reality. For instance a 38-55 Ballard really isn't a 38 cal at all its really a .375 dia. and up to .380 and sometimes more where the 38 is .358 dia. It's pretty hard to get inside of the mind of some people and how they come up with what they did.

Some of the older pistol calibers used a heeled bullet, and the original diameter was .32, .38, .44, etc. The heeled bullet was outside lubed and prone to loosing it's lubrication or piking up grit. The manufacturers switched to a single diameter inside the case bullet with the lube grooves inside the case, and the .38 bullet became a .357 bullet, the .44 at .429, and so on. The .22 rimfire is one of the last of the heeled bullets.

6. Default

Most of these rifles use the 7.65X53 cartridge. However,
    If there was a 7.65mmx53 and a 7.65mmx54 there would be .040" difference in the length of the case. I have one set of dies for all 7.65mmx53 cases, the box is stamped B.M.; the B.M. means the dies are 7.65mm Belgium Mauser. I also have an Argentine 91 7.65mmx53mm Mauser, and now it is a 308W. A smith asked me to clean out his shop and his off campus office, the Argentine 308 W was in his shop. He said it was a loaner for those that show up to hunt without a rifle.

I thought I wanted to return it to 7.65mmx53mm Argentine, I asked friends about parts, they gave me enough parts to build another rifle or turn it into a shotgun, one of them gave me another rifle and then I decided to apply the 'leaver policy', I am going to leaver the way I founder.

F. Guffey

I don't believe I would be willing to shoot that 91 chambered in .308 Winchester using anything near full .308 pressure loads. But hey, whatever floats someones boat.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    I don't believe I would be willing to shoot that 91 chambered in .308 Winchester using anything near full .308 pressure loads. But hey, whatever floats someone's boat.
    He gave me the rifle, I said the rifle was a 7.65x53 B.M/Argentine, he disagreed, he was 92 and I was 80. When I got the rifles home I started checking the chambers, the 91 Argentine was a 308W; I called him and apologized. He said he built the rifle as an extra, he loaned the rifle to any that showed up to hunt without a rifle. By that time I had taken the rifle apart, the barrel was a 308 diameter barrel, it was not a .311". He said it was a M1917 barrel. The .311" barrel would have reduced the pressure.

I made a few calls to find parts to return it to 7.65x53, again I found shotgun barrels with enough parts to build another rifle plus a 7mm57 Spanish Mauser complete. So I dug out a few tools and then removed the barreled action from the stock; the barrel was welded to the receiver.

My friend was a master welder, machinist and gunsmith, so I applied the 'leaver policy' I am going to leave it the way I founder. He gave me his press and dies, I did not find a 308 W set of dies meaning he purchased new factory, over the counter ammo for the 91 Argentine, and now? I am going to give the rifle to my son, he is not in need for a rifle. I am hoping to load 100 rounds of starting loads before he gets here (this coming Saturday) .

F. Guffey

9. Default

My friend was a master welder, machinist and gunsmith:
    And a professor at North Texas State, one day one of his students asked him if he could help, the student was under the impression the professor could weld anything. The students dad owned and farmed the land that is now Alliance Airport. He owned a piece of equipment that was manufactured by Caterpillar, it was a huge four wheel/articulated tractor. They built 4 of them with no spare parts, unfortunately the rear drive housing developed a huge crack. It was made clear to the owner there was no fixing the crack and there was no rear drive housing available and there was no one that can repair the crack.

The professor agreed to inspect the rear drive with the student. He got his equipment together and started. He started the repair and his student finished it. After the repair all involved maintained the housing could not be repaired. In the beginning the professor was asked if there was anything he could not weld; he said nothing.

I miss him.

F. Guffey

I still have my original carbine barrel for my rifle, the barrel I had screwed into my rifle was a 29 1/4 inch long SJG barrel that I had cut down to either 26 or 24 inches. Shoots great and I get a bit more velocity than the old short barrel without pushing the pressures up beyond the design level. So if I understand correct that barrel is welded to the receiver ring, and in a cartridge that runs way more pressure than the action and steel is designed for.......good luck.