Default Rifle of a World Champion

The last month or so, I have been watching a rifle listed for auction with a potentially interesting history. The rifle, a Springfield Model of 1922, SN 129, finally came up for auction last Thursday and I was fortunate to win it.

First some background on the listing. It was listed as a Springfield Model of 1922, MI in decent condition with no mention of provenance. As I was reviewing the photos, I noticed that the Lyman 48 rear sight was indexed for 1 MOA/clk adjustment and as such was a Lyman 48B. This was important because the 48B was only used on the first Model of 1922 rifles made from 1922 - 1924, with only 2020 made. I immediately requested detailed photos of the receiver, its front ring and of the bolt. The additional photos confirmed that the rifle was indeed a first year production Model of 1922 and not the second variant MI. The rifle is generally correct with its original rear sight and dual striker bolt. The rifle has a newer 1942 dated barrel and may have been reblued. The correct 1922 5-round magazine is missing and the stock appears very light in color suggesting it was cleaned or sanded. However, more importantly, as a Model of 1922 variant rifle, SN 129 just happens to appear in the Springfield Research Services (SRS) 1922 listing.

CHHiSja.jpg

The SRS 1922 listing has the following entry for SN 129; "031523 W R STOKES". This listing indicates that SN 129 has an association with Walter Raymond Stokes on March 15, 1923. That association was likely the sale of the rifle to Mr. Stokes. Interestingly, SN 603 was also listed on the same day to W R Stokes.

So, who is Walter R Stokes? Stokes was a prominent sport shooter in the 1920?s. He competed with and against noted marksmen of the era like Carl Osburn and Morris Fisher. Some of his achievements include:

• 1921 World Champion 300m Free Rifle 3x40
    • 1921 World Champion 300m Free Rifle Standing
    • 1921 World Champion 300m Free Rifle Kneeling
    • 1921 World Champion 300m Free Rifle Prone
    • 1922 World Champion 300m Free Rifle 3x40
    • 1922 World Champion 300m Free Rifle Kneeling
    • 1923 World Champion Team 300m Free Rifle 3x40
    • 1923 World Champion Team 300m Free Rifle Prone
    • 1923 World Champion Team 300m Free Rifle Kneeling
    • 1923 World Champion Team 300m Free Rifle Standing
    • 1924 World Champion 300m Free Rifle Prone
    • 1924 World Champion team 300m Free Rifle Prone
    • 1924 World Champion team 300m Free Rifle 3x40
    • 1924 Olympic Games - Bronze team, 100m Running Deer doubles
    • 1924 Olympic Games - Gold team, 400m-600m-800m Army Rifle

Not only was Walter Stokes an achieved marksman, he also earned two degrees at George Washington University while also coaching their men and women's rifle teams to several intercollegiate championships.

The question of provenance is personal and purely subjective. Any value it might add to the rifle is based purely on my opinion of Walter Stokes' achievements and importance that may not be shared by others. I for one, however, am proud to own a rifle that was once owned by a World Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist and when I finally receive it, I plan to honor it and Mr Stokes by shooting it in some local small bore matches.

Art
    Last edited by artd; 06-13-2021 at 11:40.

excellent
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

3. Default

Well done Art!

4. Default

Does the bolt still have the firing pin with the two points/tips?

Quote Originally Posted by m1903rifle View Post
    Does the bolt still have the firing pin with the two points/tips?
    Yes, it still has the dual striker bolt.

Art

Congrats!!!

AJ
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Blog Entries

you know you need to take it to the range and post results,,,,,,,,,,

That is awesome! Congatulations!

9. Default

I perused his biography and have never noted a more accomplished individual. Two degrees, yeah right. law and medicine. While in medical school, Stokes cooperated with Margaret Sanger in opposing laws against birth control. He then proceeded to attain credentialing in psychiatry. Finally, in retirement, he became an ardent conservationist in retirement, publishing in his late 80’s.

Thank you for stimulating me to investigate this remarkable individual!

Quote Originally Posted by oscars View Post
    I perused his biography and have never noted a more accomplished individual. Two degrees, yeah right. law and medicine. While in medical school, Stokes cooperated with Margaret Sanger in opposing laws against birth control. He then proceeded to attain credentialing in psychiatry. Finally, in retirement, he became an ardent conservationist in retirement, publishing in his late 80’s.

Thank you for stimulating me to investigate this remarkable individual!
    Obviously, this man was driven to succeed, not only academically, but also as a world class marksman. He even excelled at living, making it to the ripe old age of 98. He was quite remarkable.

Art