Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breda M1 Tipo2 sniper rifle

This is one of the appx 150 scoped rifles that came into the country. Breda/Italian made, converted to 7.62 NATO by shortening the barrels. Many USGI parts on these, very neat variation.Were retailed through Palmetto State Armory. Pricey, but not exceedingly so.

scope2.jpg crate.jpg crate2.jpg

bbl marks.jpg breech.jpg
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Blog Entries

nice rifle Hal,

I sadly missed that boat by a few hours

Did your box serial number match your rifle? My box was used for two other rifles before mine was assigned and it had paperwork for those two rifles in it. Sadly, I missed the boat, but I bought a rifle sans scope. I had an original M1D scope and mount and no rifle. I got a nice very lightly used rifle.

No, the only serial numbers that matched on mine was the scope and bracket. Still a nice package though.

Very nice indeed. It's interesting that they shortened the barrel instead of just re barreling the rifle but I'm sure it works just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Very nice indeed. It's interesting that they shortened the barrel instead of just re barreling the rifle but I'm sure it works just the same.
    Art, the first batch the Italians put together were in 30-06. Later for the Tipo-2 they wanted to standardize with NATO. I'm sure they looked at the troubles the US had with chamber inserts. The original barrels in .30-06 were probably little used, and the Italians had the workers they were paying anyway, so came up with the conversion, probably with advice from Beretta, but I don't know for sure. Still hard to get any real development history on these sniper rifles.

So, Palmetto ended up with some more for sale. Sold off a bunch of ammo I had and a rifle. Made bank on those, so I have another one on the way. I think I have a total of about 1000 dollars cash invested in this one. Buying all that "junk" surplus ammo over the years paid off. I had three 900 round tins of 1950s Yugo 8mm and a case of Brit .303, sold that at the local pawn shop for .75 a round.

Still have plenty of ammo left, more than I could shoot in the time I have left.

Supposed to e here late Thursday.
    Last edited by Hal O'Peridol; 11-03-2021 at 05:44.

Hi Hal
    Wondering how your second rifle looks and works. Is it scoped?
    Fired mine last summer and it's a keeper.

Well, I am going to be selling off one to a local guy. He is getting the first rifle I got with the second scope and bracket.

That gives me a well cartouched rifle and matching scope and bracket.