Default Who will rule in Burma/Myanmar?

I spent a fair amount of time in Thailand in the mid-'80s and got around to the northern border areas, close enough to hear gunfire and hide in the elephand grass from a Shan cavalry patrol. Here is a damn good article by someone who knows the the scene. They don't have a second amendment right in that country and they really don't give a damn either. Who has the power now?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/04/o...ed-groups.html

jn

Jon, you might want to ask this very same question a year from now for America.
    Sam

Blog Entries

article it paywall blocked,

from what folks I know that have visited that area tell me, they have a completely different outlook on life , re the value of life, than what the West does,

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Jon, you might want to ask this very same question a year from now for America.
    Sam
    That was one of the reasons I put this up. Those tribal armies are the real thing when it comes to militias, and a lot of shadowy players are fronting them weapons, materiel and cash. Too bad about the paywall, i think there is a way 'round it, mAYBE a "guest" acount.

jn

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    ......... from what folks I know that have visited that area tell me, they have a completely different outlook on life , re the value of life, than what the West does,
    It isn't that they don't value life, it's that life is sweet and so is liberty, worth fighting for .... the Tatmadaw are a bunch of thugs who already know they are going to hell, in the Buddha way, and will do anything 'cause it just don't matter

jn

5. Default

Totally familiar with the players in that region , that was my primary focus for nearly twenty years.

Burma is a rogue state, has a Chinese sponsored nuke program, been under military dictatorship with drug money fueling those in power and those factions like the Kachins are indeed fighting for survival. THey're facing genocide and have been for 30 years from the Burmese military. Shan State is a narco fiefdom with a long reach of power and its drug products roll right into the USA. The Ya Ba problem (Meth) that is engulfing Thailand originates from supplies coming right out of Shan State. There is centuries of hate between Burmese and Thai. The Ya Ba situation is an insurgency to disrupt Thai Society and the hands making and moving that drug is Burmese hatred.

The answer to the question who rules now or future is Drug Lords and Military Junta...and most always one in the same.

There's nothing about that post that I like: rogue, nuke, drug money, Meth, hate. Maybe the Hondurans aren't that bad. We'll find out.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.