Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening 2021

Default Gardening 2021

Just took out all of the plants, save for the trees out of the greenhouse and am in the process of redoing. Last season was rough with insects that I brought into the area with plants that I purchased. This year I am not doing this regardless of any "bargains" that I find. My plants are either what I have grown from seed or from my Amish buddy's greenhouse. The other thing I am doing this year is to put 30% shade on the roof to help the high temp that I experienced last year.
    Food is expected to take a hike of 20-40% with the inflation so we will do pretty good again. I do expect thieving to increase for those with outside gardens.
    Anybody else going "green" this year?
    Sam

Yes we will put a few things in this season but not a lot. Some Tomatoes 2-4 Cherokee Purples a couple of Armenian cucumbers for fresh eating stuff and some undecided things when we decide. We grew way to much of both cuckes and tomatoes last year canned something like 40-50 quarts of bread and butter pickles. Made salsa and tomato juice and still have 3-5 gallons of frozen tomatoes in the freezer to work up. Food like gas has already gone up, the hair sniffer is doing a great job of screwing up things so yes stuff will go up a lot more. I don't worry to much about what the bugs eat as long as I get my share I don't do much to em. They get to greedy I stick it to em.
    BudT

I guess you and I are the only ones left that do that sort of stuff.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Blog Entries

I have not had time to till this year,
    or rather go rent a tiller,

they are hard to find used in this area,

so I have a few taters going,, and some onions going,

may get some other stuff in the ground next week

Blog Entries

10 crook neck squash plants, already gotten (and eaten) 22, with blossoms and current "sets" at least 50 more, tomatos, zukes, bell peppers, bush beans, already a peck of radishes cleaned and trimmed, with at least that many more, cucumbers in 2 weeks.

Yes, I have to also put up sun screen here in Phoenix.

3 kinds of tomatoes, 3 kinds of peppers, lots of bush beans, carrots, turnips, snap peas, potatoes, and zucchini. The old lady got into dehydrating and canning last year so nothing gets wasted.
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!

I've got this year's garden mostly in. We get all our greens from it, also plenty of tomatoes. Squash, kale carrots, cabbage, green beans and potatoes. Onions & garlic - we use a lot of both. I leave the root crops in the ground until we are ready to eat them. I also have an herb garden so we get fresh spices and don't pay an arm and a leg for them. Artichokes - go price an organic artichoke if you can find one. We have strawberries, blueberries and raspberries most of the summer. I planted a fig tree this year, no figs yet!

Ket's see what hunting season brings us this year.

jn

PS> I'm teaching my granddaughters how to grow their own food, and they love clamming. They get a little older I'll teach them how to hunt.
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 05-26-2021 at 09:45.

If you can and they show interest teach them to can meats and other things.
    Attachment 49289

Attachment 49290
    Last edited by BudT; 05-27-2021 at 11:56.

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    Attachment 49289

Attachment 49290
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'm ahead of you on that. I do can meats all the time and they are going to get to eat canned chicken/beef and see it made.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    Attachment 49289

Attachment 49290
    Money in the bank, good job!!
    I haven't done any canning since 2016 B.C., will be doing more in the close future.
    Sam