1. Default 1903A3 In The Field

Earlier today, I had no idea this site even existed, now I have a few things to share. I like almost any kind of gun except plastic and muzzle loaders. That leaves quite a few variations and I have quite a few. I never thought much of the battle rifles until I shot my first Garand, then I was hooked.

I always thought the military guns were ugly, but the Garand and the 1903 have a place in my safe near some really classy guns. I got a 1903A3 a few years ago and lucked into this variation with a real cool inspector mark.

Then I have taken it out to shoot stuff with it...

Some military rifles are simply elegant, a joy to behold. Among these are the Krag, the 03 and the M-1 Garand. I have used these and other military rifles for everything from varmint hunting to sport shooting at various ranges and many happy days in the woods and fields. The 03-A3 is a product improvement over the 03 incorporating a very practical aperture rear sight that is superior to any common open sight. Your 03-A3 likely made your shot on that elk a snap! I've used them for 35 years with nothing but good results. Anywhere between 20 yds. right on out to 180 yds. have been one shot stops. Take that rifle to a vintage military rifle match. Put some soot on the front and rear sight and use good ammunition and you will very likely place well up in the scoring. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

The G.E.K initials above those of Col. Frank J. Atwood, boxed F.J.A., are most likely those of Elmer Keith who served at Ogden Arsenal during WWII. It would have originally been O.G.E.K. in a box. The stock is either an early Remington or a Smith Corona. There is another post showing the difference in the lower band spring cut of the Remington and S.C.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The G.E.K initials above those of Col. Frank J. Atwood, boxed F.J.A., are most likely those of Elmer Keith who served at Ogden Arsenal during WWII. It would have originally been O.G.E.K. in a box. The stock is either an early Remington or a Smith Corona. There is another post showing the difference in the lower band spring cut of the Remington and S.C.
    If you look close, you can see the box around the OGEK, most certainly this is an Elmer Keith inspected gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    If you look close, you can see the box around the OGEK, most certainly this is an Elmer Keith inspected gun...
    Is the stock Remington or Smith-Corona?

That is a really sweet '03A3. I personally believe, overall, it's the best military version of the Mauser ever built. I have a really nice Remington mix master that is really, really accurate, in fact its my most accurate milsurp.

It's been a long time since I've hunted anything but ducks. I do hope to do a hog hunt before too, too long. When I do the '03A3 is definitely going with me to back up my Remington 700.
    Last edited by Art; 05-23-2021 at 09:13.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Is the stock Remington or Smith-Corona?
    It is Remington

An early stock without the RA.