Default Trapdoor Lock dated 1883?

I have now seen 4 or so Trapdoors with 1883 dated locks, not 1873. I am pretty sure that Springfield did not make them, but who did and why date them 1883 or even at all.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

Done by companies like Hartley and Graham. Using parts from the 1879 turn in of arms serial numbered under 50,000. Lock plates were always in short supply on the surplus market so bogus plates were made and stamped 1883 or 1884 show up on these spurious Springfields. look close at the I in Springfield and often its a number 1. Check also the stocks and find musket stocks profiled as 1873 using cork or heavy paper to fill in the barrel diameter gap. Why date then only a guess but the years they were made.

Hmmm - never seen a "1" in Springfield, but an "I" in 1883 or 1884 is fairly common. Is that a new variation to look for, or a senior moment?

Dick, I went and looked again at my loose 1883 dated lock plate. In Springfield the first I fourth in in without doubt the number 1 eighth letter is an I. This has been mentioned before. Guess I have to search now for the reference might have been graham Burnsides Springfield article year ago. Here you go compare the number 1 in both places. Remember now Dick? yDSCN2430.jpgDSCN2430.jpgDSCN2430.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Trevor; 05-24-2021 at 03:16. Reason: Add picture

I sit corrected!!! Thank you - had totally forgotten that, but Graham's been gone for 25 years. Ever meet him? Interesting guy. I was back east on business at Underwriter's Laboratories (in Chicago) in 1990. I'd corresponded with him since high school, so arranged a trip out to Dundee on a weekend. It was his annual hog-roast! Frank Mallory drove out from Maryland - we had a helluva good time.