Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rod bayonet 1888/89

Just found this 1888 rod bayonet cartouched 1889 just under the rear lock bolt. There is also a slight ghost cartouche where one should be but is very faint, unreadable and I can not get a clear picture of it as my camera skills are lacking. Serial number is 318422 which SRS shows it was issued on 8/31 1886 to Co. L 16th Infantry also listed B for bayonet " finally an SRS hit"!!!!
    I believe this rifle was converted to a trials rifle in 1888 with the experimental rod latch then again in 1889 with the common Model 1888 rod latch. This rifle retains the two piece trigger guard and 1873 dated breech block.
    It also has two circle P's probably from being issued in both 1888 and 1889. This rifle looks as though it was put away in a closet for a long period of time. Rifling is awesome along with near prefect stock. Unfortunately the tools were not in the buttstock so now I will need to find a set. Here are a few pics
    IMG_1566.jpgIMG_1567_1.jpgIMG_1568_1.jpgIMG_1574_1.jpgIMG_1570.jpg

Great looking rifle with some great history! Congrats!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Thank you Tkacook. Al has some history on these rifles in the news letters on page 340 to 352. I was hoping to find the tool in the buttstock but not there. I have 4 bayonet trapdoors now. An 1880 Triangular rod bayonet along with an 1891, 1892 and now this one. I found the tools for all 3 now to get a set for this rifle. The last set I found the wiper on S&S for 79.00 I think, should have bought 2 LOL!!! Don't think I will find another wiper for that price.

I have a nice 1888 Rod Bayonet I purchased from Al. Great guy and great books. I bought a wiper from S&S a few years ago for my tool set.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Yes, Al is a great guy. I have bought 2 rifles from him, an 1868 made in 1869 and just recently an 1873 made in 1884. Both are fantastic rifles.

It has been confirmed through Al Frasca that this rifle is in fact one of the trials rifles used for the model 1888. So now I have an odd variant added to my rod bayonet collection including a triangular rod bayonet, a low serial number RB produced in 1891 and one produced in 1893.
    I sent the US martial arms service a request for additional information on this rifle last week. I received a response back on Thursday that I need to be a member to receive information on serial numbers and that they hoped I would join. Well I'm already a member!!! So I had to send Wayne a response to inform him that I am a member so it will probably be another week to hear back
    I don't know how they know you are a member or not because when you join or at least when I joined no member number was given. Hopefully when I do hear back there is additional information on this rifle "cross my fingers"

That's a super-fast (even if odd) reply from SRS!!! Yes, hopefully they will have something on that number, but they must have changed their policy because that used to be a one-way street (they would tell YOU what THEY had found, but would NOT (and VERY understandably so) run an individual search on YOUR number.

Does your new find have the special transitional latch and bayonet, or is it now a straight 88? Congratulations in any event!!

Blog Entries

I joined not long ago, and only received a magazine in the mail,
    nothing else,

figured there would be a member number or something to access the SRS,, but nothing,

I was going to submit a pile of serial numbers , then I picked up an estate last month that had 3 of the print SRS books, so when I get a chance I'll look them up in the books

Dick, I was hoping that they may have additional information on the serial number since it is documented but as an M84 rod bayonet in 1886. I’m sure they must come across information on rifles while searching other rifles, just my thought but then again???
    Unfortunately the rifle has the 88 latch and rod which is why it has the 2 circle P’s. According to Al’ news letters when the M84 was converted to the 88 trials rifle a new stock was made which was cartouched 1888. When the latch design was proven faulty they were returned to Springfield and the final latch design installed. They were then cartouched 1889 with the additional circle P proof marks. I did however noticed that the knurling on the rod is a little shorter than the rods on my other M88’s. I’ll add a picture when I get to my computer.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Lyman, that would be great! Are they all complete sets and are you planning on parting with any?
    I have a thumb drive with srs info but I’m not sure if it is accurate and has all the same information.
    IMG_20210623_181650813.jpg
    The rod on the right is from the 1889 RB. The other is from an 88 RB manufactured 1891. I f you can see that the knurling is shorter on the right rod at the top. I do not now if the upper portion is the same length as it had been damaged. The knurling is the same as the left on my other RB.
    Last edited by Carlsr; 06-27-2021 at 02:20. Reason: added photo