Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

That is not the correct cleaning rod for that rifle, even though it may work on getting it clean don't mean it was made for the above rifle.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mr.j View Post
    That is not the correct cleaning rod for that rifle, even though it may work on getting it clean don't mean it was made for the above rifle.
    Correct or not, it would take a 20 piece rod to fit in the shallow holes that are in the butt stock and I know that isn?t right.

The correct cleaning rod when all three rods are attached 22" the same length as the barrel. So each rod is a little over 7". The rod you need was specifically made at the Springfield armory for the Springfield trapdoor carbine. They are all identical. And then there is the one piece rod made specifically for the longer full length trapdoor rifle 32".

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mr.j View Post
    The correct cleaning rod when all three rods are attached 22" the same length as the barrel. So each rod is a little over 7". The rod you need was specifically made at the Springfield armory for the Springfield trapdoor carbine. They are all identical. And then there is the one piece rod made specifically for the longer full length trapdoor rifle 32".
    Take another look, there is no way a 7 inch rod would fit in those holes!

I'm now thinking a stock (even possibly a repro) which was never fully machined. It's a puzzle for sure. Tip-off? The wood milling looks "fresh", not almost 150 years old.

6. Default

The protection of a butt plate or heel cap as in this case with a shotgun made in 1867, you can see how fresh it can look over 150 years later. It still remains puzzling as to why the holes would be so shallow. Also the JC marks on the trapdoor would indicate it wasn't a late reproduction...

Granted (gorgeous wood!) but that carbine stock inletting just doesn't smell right! The holes should be "about" 7" deep, and the center one should be over-bored for "about" 3.5" so as to allow the 1875 Tegethoff 4-finger HSE to sit around the center rod. I just do not believe that SA did what you have.

Dick what does your book say about the serial number if anything as it is a real early number?

Jim O

IMG_1054.jpgIMG_1056.jpg

Perhaps the rods you have are a wider diameter than the originals.
    Last edited by 70ish; 05-24-2021 at 07:08.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 70ish View Post
    IMG_1054.jpgIMG_1056.jpg

Perhaps the rods you have are a wider diameter than the originals.
    I don't know how I can make it more clear:

The holes are not deep enough!