1. Default Barrel fitment question (early vs late profile)

Hi everyone - I'm working on a Krag project. I have an 1896 receiver with a chopped and re-profiled RA 1-44 barrel. I'd like to restore it to 1896 rifle (or carbine) configuration.

Question is whether a post 214-216K barrel with the rounded or beveled breech end will fit an early model receiver. Pre-214K barrels had the flat breech end, but early barrels are much harder to find. Was there a corresponding machining change in post 214K receivers to fit the later beveled barrel? Anyone with experience retro-fitting a late barrel to an early receiver?

Thanks all!

Ed
    Last edited by USMA-1982; 05-20-2021 at 12:38.

I have put a late-type U.S. Krag barrel, (with the slight bevel on the threaded-shank), on a model 1898 action in the 119XXX serial number range. The barrel that came off of the action had the early square-cornered shank.

The late-type barrel screwed easily into the action. The barrel breech-face seated firmly, against the interior-flange of the receiver, with a moderate tug on a long handled wrench.

The barrel index-mark lined-up perfectly with the action index-mark. The barrel extractor-cut lined-up with the extractor-slot in the receiver. The Bolt head-spaced properly after the barrel was installed.
    (This 'installation' has been Range tested and is a very accurate shooter).

In my experience, late-type Krag barrels fit, without alteration, on earlier actions.
    Because of the close tolerances and the Krag barrel being a fully manufactured unit, before it was screwed to its fully manufactured receiver, the late barrels are basically a 'drop in' part.

I have installed two early Krag barrels on late model 1898 actions. It simply required filing a slight radius or bevel at the corner of the threaded shank. This allowed the early barrels to seat fully in late actions and for everything to line up properly.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 05-20-2021 at 08:09.

1. Picture of the square-shouldered threaded shank of early Krag barrels.

2. The slight hand-filed bevel, that adapts the early barrel shank, so it can clear the interior corners and make contact, with the inside flange of a late receiver.

3. View of the receiver threads & flange.

4. Index marks.

5. model 1899 carbine threads.

barrel square-corner.jpgBarrel flange filed.jpglate 1898 interior flange.jpgindex mark and barrel P.jpg
    1899 carbine shank.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 05-20-2021 at 11:09.

Recently bought a 1899 Krag. Simply gorgeous machine work, etc. Impressed with fit/finish. You post describes a degree of common precision I had not expected. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    I have put a late-type U.S. Krag barrel, (with the slight bevel on the threaded-shank), on a model 1898 action in the 119XXX serial number range. The barrel that came off of the action had the early square-cornered shank.

The late-type barrel screwed easily into the action. The barrel breech-face seated firmly, against the interior-flange of the receiver, with a moderate tug on a long handled wrench.

The barrel index-mark lined-up perfectly with the action index-mark. The barrel extractor-cut lined-up with the extractor-slot in the receiver. The Bolt head-spaced properly after the barrel was installed.
    (This 'installation' has been Range tested and is a very accurate shooter).

In my experience, late-type Krag barrels fit, without alteration, on earlier actions.
    Because of the close tolerances and the Krag barrel being a fully manufactured unit, before it was screwed to its fully manufactured receiver, the late barrels are basically a 'drop in' part.

I have installed two early Krag barrels on late model 1898 actions. It simply required filing a slight radius or bevel at the corner of the threaded shank. This allowed the early barrels to seat fully in late actions and for everything to line up properly.
    Thank you very much, that's exactly the information I needed!

The 03A3 barrel currently installed just looks wrong so I'd really like to replace it with a Krag. I've seen a couple recently but hesitated because of not being certain of the fit. This really helps my search!

All the best,
    Ed

ETA: interestingly, when the 03A3 barrel was recut, it looks like the breech end was cut square rather than beveled.
    Last edited by USMA-1982; 05-21-2021 at 04:41.