Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whole House Power with a Portable Generator

Well, I bit the bullet and had my completely out dated breaker box and meter box replaced with new equipment. While I was at it I had it set up to run my whole house off a 30 watt cable from my 6250 running watt portable generator. I think the electrician did a fine job my new box has a surge protector installed and he installed a simple interlock kit to handle the power transfer. I tested it out and it worked fine. The only problem I encountered was attaching the twist lock cable head to the house outlet if I had attached it to the generator first. The cable is very stiff, the house plug faces down at a bit of an awkward angle which makes it hard to lock the cable plug in. Plugging into the house first solved this problem.

I insisted that the work be done to code. The city inspector was at my place while they were installing my interlock plate that took almost two weeks to get in . Even better, the contractor was the low bid over his competitors by a lot. I am reluctant to take a low bid but this guys reviews were so good I took a chance and hopefully all will be well.

I'm not going to run A/C off of it and portable generator can be bad mojo for anything with a micro processor but hopefully my days of running extension cords into my house in extended power outages are over.

Our daughter intends to mount solar panels on her house with Tesla Batteries for a backup. I understand one Tesla battery is good for one day without power if you only use it for the essentials. Of course her solar panels should provide power in the daytime for her minimal requirements extending the time her batteries would be able to power up her first floor.
    Last edited by Art; 05-13-2021 at 02:17. Reason: Spelling, typo

Congrats in store! My neighbor has a whole house generator. When storms knock out our power, his house is the only one lit up!

Our electrician will be back in early June [had heart surgery] and is doing the same thing for us. I have a 9375 dual fuel [followed Ken's advice] for our house. I can handle window A/C with not an issue and we already have switched to LED lights all around. The only exception to the lights is our Aladdin lamps which we dearly love.
    Our propane people are installing a 100 gallon tank for the generator and I still have several 20 lb. ones that I also use for cooking in the outdoor kitchen. Counting on the power company is not always a good idea anymore.
    Sam

Blog Entries

my electrician (brother) is supposed to install a dryer plug on my house to plug in the Generator (9000/11250) into when we get outages,

currently when needed we just do drop cords to the fridge, and a few lights,

I have a Kohler 5200 watt portabil for our small home. We have propane heat & a pellet stove which supplies most of the heat. 2 bags a day in the dead of winter.t, Art I know it cost a lot of money but you will never look back.

To S. A. Boggs,

Glad someone else appreciates the Aladdin lamps. Had about 30 at one time, but thinned them down. This was always my favorite, a ruby red beehive with all original parts. Chimney is Pyrex.

Hi Art

Who did you use? I was going to go whole house but the install time is way off and with prices going up I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    Hi Art

Who did you use? I was going to go whole house but the install time is way off and with prices going up I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    my electrician (brother) is supposed to install a dryer plug on my house to plug in the Generator (9000/11250) into when we get outages,

currently when needed we just do drop cords to the fridge, and a few lights,
    Mine is a "suicide" cord (male prongs both ends) that plugs into the dryer outlet as a 30A alternate main. Cutover is manual, at the box. Always have the electrical connection firmly established (including earth ground) at the generator before yanking on the starter rope.

Have a Generator since 1997, [ice storm in SE Mi], it's a 5Kw, peaking 6550 if needed], can run the well [60ft deep], gas furnace and kitchen outlets and stove, with no problem.

Presently looking for a auxiliary carburetor to be able to use, Nat. Gas, Propane for alternatives.