Threaded View

Default Whole House Power with a Portable Generator

Well, I bit the bullet and had my completely out dated breaker box and meter box replaced with new equipment. While I was at it I had it set up to run my whole house off a 30 watt cable from my 6250 running watt portable generator. I think the electrician did a fine job my new box has a surge protector installed and he installed a simple interlock kit to handle the power transfer. I tested it out and it worked fine. The only problem I encountered was attaching the twist lock cable head to the house outlet if I had attached it to the generator first. The cable is very stiff, the house plug faces down at a bit of an awkward angle which makes it hard to lock the cable plug in. Plugging into the house first solved this problem.

I insisted that the work be done to code. The city inspector was at my place while they were installing my interlock plate that took almost two weeks to get in . Even better, the contractor was the low bid over his competitors by a lot. I am reluctant to take a low bid but this guys reviews were so good I took a chance and hopefully all will be well.

I'm not going to run A/C off of it and portable generator can be bad mojo for anything with a micro processor but hopefully my days of running extension cords into my house in extended power outages are over.

Our daughter intends to mount solar panels on her house with Tesla Batteries for a backup. I understand one Tesla battery is good for one day without power if you only use it for the essentials. Of course her solar panels should provide power in the daytime for her minimal requirements extending the time her batteries would be able to power up her first floor.
    Last edited by Art; 05-13-2021 at 02:17. Reason: Spelling, typo