Default Gallipoli (Mini Series)

I watched the first installment of this last night and was very favorably impressed.

Of course the impression given is that the Australians and New Zealanders did most of the fighting when they were, in fact a minority. The Majority of the troops engaged were British, in addition to the Aussies, Indians and Frenchmen also fought there.

That minor issue out of the way: The acting is quite good, both the Australian and Turkish characters were, I thought, well drawn. Attention to detail on the equipment, including weapons, web gear, uniforms and even ammunition was very, very good. I noticed the Australians were carrying Mk VI ball (215 gr. round nose.) That was in fact the case. Australians weren't issued Mk VII ball until later in the war. Rifles on the line are shown cocked safety on, another minor detail but one usually not seen. Most movies show firearms that should be ready un cocked. Bayonettes are the Pattern 1907 with quillion, also correct. Uniforms and weapons of the Turks are equally impressively done. These are minor details, but the kind of minor details folks on this site may appreciate.

Its one of those movies that made me appreciate that "smell-a-vision" was never invented.

The series depicts a campaign that is a testimonial to what "noodledom" can, unfortunately, accomplish.
    Last edited by Art; 05-05-2021 at 10:58.

Blog Entries

what channel or streaming service?

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    what channel or streaming service?
    Ooooops - forgot about that.

You can get it on You Tube. Search Gallipoli mini series.

Blog Entries

thanks Art,

another good movie that takes place after WWI is the Water Diviner with Russel Crowe,

he plays a Dad who goes to Turkey looking for info on his sons,

Very thankful for the heads up! Will most certainly give this a look. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I also watched the mini series and agree that its well done, then followed up with Russel Crowe film. The troops that survived that mess then went to the horrors of France.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

My Grandfather had a good friend that was born in Scotland, joined the army (Black Watch) just before WW1, sent to Gallipoli, then Greece and spent the last two
    years on the western front. he was injured by the razor wire but never pulled out of the front line, after the war his outfit went to Northern Ireland. After seven
    years he left and came to the USA.

8. Default

Gallipoli, what a waste of life, and the misery; close to 40% developed STD before they arrived. And they sang a song, Waltzing Matilda.

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda by the Dubliners - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq0fF6oY6I4

F. Guffey