Default Looking for Lyman 48 receiver sight parts

Apologies to anyone that already read this at the CMP forum...

I was zeroing the sight on my pre 64 Model 70 and the little, teeny, tiny set screw that secures the windage knob split at the screw slot rendering it useless as a set screw.

Id like to get a set screw to repair it. Searched Ebay and Im sure continued searching there will eventually end up in finding one....

Interested to know if there is any specific place though that may sell parts or perhaps someone knows the McMaster Carr equivalent...I wouldnt have a clue on nomenclature to try to find a current maker option.

If I can order new Id like to get some windage spares and some elevation spares...cannibalizing a very nice WJS sight to get my WH sight operational I found out it seems the elevation and windage set screws are different.

This is the sight in need of parts...

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

I think I would check Lyman first then go to ebay, do some internet searches. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    I think I would check Lyman first then go to ebay, do some internet searches. Good luck.
    I will likely contact Lyman....their stuff is so different today from the pre 1955 or so stuff though Ill be surprised if they have anything in inventory. Be very helpful though if they have the nomenclature as Id guess its still in stock somewhere.

Spoke with Gary Fellers as I recall him being a collector of these things.

84 years old and seems in great health I was glad to speak with him and he will search his supply to see if he has anything on hand.

Blog Entries

Just a thought; if you got it out, use a thread guage to find threads per inch and pitch, then caliper across the widest part of the broken "flat". Length can be cut down by file, make sure you have a nut to thread on to clean up the cut threads. At least at 84 yrs old, it won't be metric.

Thank you for the interest and help people.

The principle at Old Gunsights says he has what I need..

http://oldgunsights.com/Inventory.html

Ill be ordering the fix and spares from them.

6. Default

Would be very surprised if Lyman made those screws. You may just have to buy 10K if nobody sells by 'each'.

I am trying to find a firing pin for a five screw K-22. May have to have a local machinist CNC a few dozen and then sell them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
    Thank you for the interest and help people.

The principle at Old Gunsights says he has what I need..

http://oldgunsights.com/Inventory.html

Ill be ordering the fix and spares from them.
    thanks for that link

all the sight guys I used in the past have passed, (Garry Fellers and Mr. Bean, the Sight Man)

Just out of curiosity, are they called set screws or grub screws by the suppliers?
    There is another term I heard in the past but can't recall what that was . Anyone familiar with what it might be?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    thanks for that link

all the sight guys I used in the past have passed, (Garry Fellers and Mr. Bean, the Sight Man)

Gary Fellers is alive as of last Monday.

Had a great chat with him.

84 years old and he is looking for magazines to resupply a bunch of pre 1964 rifles he accidently sold the magazines for.

I found this info on an old post from about ten years ago and it still works.

Garry Fellers 1-817-346-9633

He is not dead. If you know him I am sure he would like the contact.

Blog Entries

thanks for that info,

I have not spoken to him in a great many years,
    he also bought piles of stuff from my Dad back in the 80's,

I had his website (ran by his daughter IIRC) bookmarked and that went away, and was told by others he had passed,

glad to hear that is not the case !!!!

sadly, cannot say the same for Mr Bean, he passed last year