Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to me Model 1896

My brother-in-law was getting rid of his gun he learned how to shoot with and asked if I wanted an "old .22" I said sure, sight unseen. I picked it up Sunday and was surprised that this was his .22 SN 38266, looking for any info and where to find parts to try and make it correct if its a carbine.
    IMG_7490.jpgIMG_7491.jpgIMG_7492.jpgIMG_7489.jpgIMG_7485.jpg
    Last edited by Darrylg60; 04-29-2021 at 05:28.

While it appears to be of carbine length, with the original short 30" stock, the rear sight is from an 1896 rifle, and the serial number is from the very beginning of a rifle range, though that exact number is not listed. I'd need to see some better-lit pictures, especially of the front sight and muzzle. The use of a rifle sight on a carbine - though certainly NOT original - is not that unusual today, since carbine sights have been extremely rare for the last 50 years, at least. The sling bar and ring can be obtained with no problem.

Darryl, you have got yourself a real prize! Ask your brother in law where he got it and when, it's worth keeping as much of the story as you can.

jn

Thank you for the information Dick. I measured the barrel with a cleaning rod and it shows 22". I've read about some of the rifles being sporterized. Here are some more pics, let me know if you would like different ones. I appreciate it.
    IMG_7521.jpgIMG_7522.jpgIMG_7523.jpgIMG_7525.jpgIMG_7526.jpg

What a beautiful rifle. Very much appreciate your post and the pictures. Hope you will be able to find the rear sight, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

It's a bit hard to tell for sure, but that could be an original carbine barrel/sight/crown. If it's not original (and the fact that it is associated with an original carbine stock is a plus) it's very well done.

Thanks again Dick, for taking the time to look. Now, off in search of the elusive '96 carbine rear sight. $$$$$

You're very welcome. Expect to pay upwards of $600, and be VERY careful as the sight has been both faked and POORLY reproduced. Look for nothing less than workmanship fully equal to the sight that is now on the gun. Run away if ANYTHING seems fishy. SA did NOT re-stamp graduations, for example.

I hate being a 'Debbie Downer', but, looking at Darrylg60's front-sight photos raises my suspicions.

I believe this is a barrel that has been cut-down with a Krag sight-base 're-attached'.

It appears a dovetail was filed into his barrel's muzzle area and a 'reclaimed' front sight-base was fitted or jammed into the dovetail.

The front sight-base appears a bit canted and it also looks like some edges have been cleaned up and slightly beveled.

IMHO - This is not the very neat brazing and contouring of the Krag front sight-base that was done at Springfield Armory.

Daryl sight-a.jpgDaryl sight-c.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]49193
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 05-05-2021 at 09:23.

10. Default

Krag front sights were installed with a very shallow dove tail. You should be able to make this out on inspection. There have been a few clever ways to put a front sight on a shortened barrel.