1. Default shoulder setback

Again, I have said it is impossible to move the shoulder on a case back when sizing and or forming. What else is left to0 be said? The shoulder of the die does not move the shoulder back. If the shoulder of the die moved the shoulder back, when finished the reloader would finish with a case that has to shoulders. That would be the one he started with and the one he finished with.

There is not a chance my dies are different; my dies will not move the shoulder of the case back. There is no such thing as you are proving it to yourself, but I am convinced there are many reloaders that believe you.

And then you asked me how I adjust the die to the case when sizing a case. For me it is easy because I know the length of the case from the datum to the case head, length of the chamber from the datum to the bolt face 'AND' I have feeler gages, lots of feeler gages.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

spot on bruce,

Mr. Guffey,
    Take a fired case and measure the distance from the datum to the case head. Run it through your full length sizing die. Now take the measurement again. It should be less than it was as a fired case. The difference between the two measurements would then be considered the amount of the set back of the shoulder.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Blog Entries

Guffey, your pot must be too settled for you now.

So now you want to stir your pot of "shoulder set back" and "headspace / head clearance" as only you can measure it, as proven by your 1917 rifle.

What's coming now from this ALMOST makes me wish for the last few weeks of polotical retoric

Blog Entries

lots of this in the section already,

no need for more