Thread: Pawn Shop M1917

Default Pawn Shop M1917

I've mentioned the pawn broker I know who occasionally sells off collections of really nice firearms on consignment.

He got in a bunch of WWII stuff including a couple of No 5 Jungle carbines, one with a bayonette, a matching well used SMLE No 1 Mk III with a bayonette, an '03 an '03 A3, and M1 that's already sold, as well as an M1 Carbine.

Then there's what this is really about, an Eddystone M1917. I'm not an expert on M1917, so can't tell if a previous owner "corrected" it, but this one sure looks like it spent most of its life as a rack queen. The stock has nary a ding and the metal, except for the butt plate is probably about 90%. If I was still buying I'd probably be interested. It sure isn't cheap though. It's been many a long moon since I've seen one of these rifles in that condition.

I would be interested in hearing what the shop owner is asking for it. Nice condition M1917 rifles are not common.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wilson View Post
    I would be interested in hearing what the shop owner is asking for it. Nice condition M1917 rifles are not common.
    M1917s are not my thing so I'll get that out of the way.

It's a consignment piece. I inspected it more closely and it seems to have the right cartouches but also a Raritan Arsenal overhaul stamp. Rifling is strong but the bore appears dirty, if its just dirt, not a problem but I'll check that out. The butt plate has no bluing left and the bolt handle shows some wear. There is a little discoloring on the rear sight slide. There are also some dings in the wood on the left side I didn't notice before but they are superficial. I'll check and give you a PM. later.
    Last edited by Art; 04-27-2021 at 10:34.

Let us know if the rifling is either 5-groove, Left twist, or 4-groove, Right twist. (5-groove would be original barrel.)

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Let us know if the rifling is either 5-groove, Left twist, or 4-groove, Right twist. (5-groove would be original barrel.)
    I looked doen the bore today and it looks like 5 groove to me though I didn't actually count. Rifling is strong but there is some light pitting.
    Last edited by Art; 04-28-2021 at 02:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wilson View Post
    PM sent.

It took five nights of plugging the bore at the chamber and soaking over-night, and then using up a couple of new bore brushes.

Ended up with an accurate rifle.

Check the barrel surface behind the front sight, there should be stamped characters: E, R, or W with a second line of two numbers for year made.

If the: the characters are JA, or SC with two numbers on the second line corresponding to WWII years, the JA will likely be aa two groove rifling adapted from the 03A3 refiling specs, that met the War Department accuracy standard, the SC is made by "Smith-Corona" and used the four groove 03 rifling standars.

Good Luck,

8. Default

Weren't there also HS and some RI, as well?

The Johnson Automatic Co., [JA] was located in Rhode Island.
    That might be were RI cones from?? The alternate would have been RIA, but that mothballed equipment was transfeerred to Remington for their series of 03A3 /03A4's.