Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Much Ammunition do You Carry???

I've had a lot of food for thought over the last few years, as I'm sure we all have. I've also changed some behaviors. One thing I've changed is never leaving my house without a firearm, which usually means a S&W Model 640 K frame revolver though I do, at times carry other options.

When I was a "law dog" carrying a S&W Model 66 I carried six in the revolver and two speed loaders with six each in my strong had coat pocket as the every day option. On raids I carried an 870 with 5 rounds of buckshot or slugs depending on the occasion, six in my revolver, three speed loaders in my strong side coat pocket and six more in a "dump pouch."

Well, I'm not a cop anymore and since a sustained gunfight is pretty unlikely (though more likely than five years ago) I now carry 5 in my model 640 in a strong side belt holster and a speed loader in my strong side vest or coat pocket. I almost always wear a jacket or vest, but if I'm not and am carrying in a hip pocket or with an ankle holster I substitute six in a dump pouch for the speed loader. If I carry a larger six shot revolver I always wear a jacket or and have six in the revolver and six in one speed loader. If I carry an auto pistol, which I do on rare occassions; mine is a sixteen shooter, I don't carry a spare magazine.

Interestingly, some times, just because, I'll carry my Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" in a "pancake" holster. I'm not a big guy, 5'7" and 178 pounds this morning, but, this option is surprisingly concealable under a jacket and comfortable but only if you have a serious belt that's up to the job.

So, how do you folks carry, the forum, is, as they say, open.
    Last edited by Art; 04-22-2021 at 09:37.

I go light.....only what firearm capacity is.

Perhaps a mistake on my part but being a good witness and escaping are my first thoughts.

Engaging would require extreme advantage or last resort.

Its nice to consider heroics but if you dont carry it off it can get messy.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 04-22-2021 at 11:52.

3. Default

Was gonna ask H&W but ya beat me to it. Never been LE but have been on the wrong end of a pistol so I have some thoughts.

I've taken the CC course but decided not to get one. A) Don't need one for the times I am most likely to need a gun-Yogi, Felix and BULLWINKLE. B) Not living in an urban area it is awareness I practice when I am in a combat zone. C) The trustfunders infesting this area have called out LE for carrying in normal places such as stores etc. My sense of humor is already a few quarts low. D) Too many places are gun unfriendly and I hate leaving a gun in the car, even with Muttface in it.

When I do carry it's a SA/DA revolver beginning with .4 and a spare load. Or I am out at my cabin and armed to the teeth.

Thanks for starting this one.

I hunt with what's in the magazine, five rounds on the Krag. My brother carries more when he's hunting centerfire, but only carries 3 prepared loads plus what's in the gun for his muzzle loader. I don't go about armed for the most part, except with a stout hickory hammer handle sometimes, or a stick if the issue is dogs. If I were carrying, it would definitely be a loaded revolver and maybe a another six in a speed-loader.

jn

I generally carry only whats in my gun. Have ample speedloaders, spare mags, and speed strips but don't tend to carry them

For Sigmund it is 7+1 with 4 additional mags and I use a shoulder rig. It is easier to just take off the rig and hang by my door.
    Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    For Sigmund it is 7+1 with 4 additional mags and I use a shoulder rig. It is easier to just take off the rig and hang by my door.
    Sam
    I used to carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig,, and did not like it,

now, one of several options pistols, or a J frame (kramer pocket holster

today, and this weekend, (at a gun show) Seecamp 32 in the front right pocket

Blog Entries

Zero.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I used to carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig,, and did not like it,

now, one of several options pistols, or a J frame (kramer pocket holster

today, and this weekend, (at a gun show) Seecamp 32 in the front right pocket
    I am so use to going heeled that it doesn't bother me to shoulder it. I feel different when I have to go to the Dr. and can't carry. My dentist is a hunter and she doesn't mind if I am carrying in her office. My wife is uncomfortable if I am not carrying considering what is going on in the world now.
    Sam

I don’t always carry, but when I do I carry a tuned Colt Officer’s lightweight 1911 in .45 ACP w/a stainless Colt 7-rd. mag in the pistol and one extra stainless Colt 7-rd. mag in a belt pouch with a Surefire light.

Stay frosty my friends

most-interesting-man-in-the-world-with-cigar.jpg
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-24-2021 at 07:39.