Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SRS Request Springfield M1903 SN 1,256,203

Appears all original by the description, Springfield M1903 sn 1,256,203. I have not physically examined this rifle yet but it is in family hands, my cousin's, and I will have a chance in May to examine it. My cousin will be keeping it as it came out of his dad's collection, my uncle passed away (non COVID) in March 2020. The rifle may have been in the family since the 1920's, both my grandfather and his brother, a WWI veteran, were NRA members and my great uncle's guns went to my grandfather when my Great Uncle Albert passed away in the 1970's and when grandpa passed in 1987 his guns went to my uncle.

I love family guns, I'm the current keeper of many of them, I have my grandfathers WWII era SA M1 Garand which was a DCM sales rifle and also my dad's Type III NM M1 he purchased at the National Matches in 1963 when he was in the Marine Corps.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Here's 1st. Lt. Albert Scott, USA in France 1918, I really hope it's his rifle...

1256140 110839. USS SOMERS. (DD381)

1256208 012992 SA SPAR 6304

Close, but no help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post
    . . . . .and also my dad's Type III NM M1 he purchased at the National Matches in 1963 . . . . .
    That?s a new one on me, Jay . . . .

What is a NM type 3 Garand?

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    That?s a new one on me, Jay . . . .

What is a NM type 3 Garand?
    I believe, without looking it up, the Type III modifications included the 7790722-SA op rod marked NM on the handle and the hooded sight aperture allowing 1/2-minute elevation adjustments, these M1 Service Rifle modifications were approved for the 1963 National Matches.

Type I NM M1's had the NM stamped barrels beginning in 1958 ( I think...)
    Type II added the non-hooded NM 1/2-minute windage adjustable rear sight assembly and gas cylinder modifications beginning in 1960 (I think...)

These were all for SA made NM M1 rifles issued for competition at the National Matches

I use to have this all memorized but it's been a while, I believe those are the correct evolutions of Type I thru Type III NM M1 rifles, there was never a Type IV, at least not SA built ones

Here's my son after a day of shooting his Grandpa's NM M1 for the first time, it is the first M1 Garand I ever shot when I was his age in this picture and the first M1 both my sons ever shot as well

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-22-2021 at 07:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    1256140 110839. USS SOMERS. (DD381)

1256208 012992 SA SPAR 6304

Close, but no help.
    Dang... Thank you for that information, much appreciated

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-22-2021 at 07:42.

I don't believe there was a new classification when the hooded rear sight with 1/2 minute adjustment was added in 1962. I have a 1961 NM that still has the standard rear sight except for aperture size and NM marked.

Thanks Johnny
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-23-2021 at 07:17.

"quote"I love family guns, I'm the current keeper of many of them, I have my grandfathers WWII era SA M1 Garand which was a DCM sales rifle and also my dad's Type III NM M1 he purchased at the National Matches in 1963 when he was in the Marine Corps. "quote"

As do I, my grandpa's and uncles hunting rifles, shotguns and pistols have been distributed to the younger generation. They don't all shoot or collect, but the ones that do got the best ones. Hopefully will stay in the family as long as possible.
    I've been told by my son though, to thin the herd of the milsurps I keep, and pass on the good ones with descriptions and value records.
    Time to sell some more average milsurps for NM and more valuable rifles to pass on later
    That Garand pic with your son is perfect.
    You are blessed Jay!

Quote Originally Posted by pickax View Post
    As do I, my grandpa's and uncles hunting rifles, shotguns and pistols have been distributed to the younger generation. They don't all shoot or collect, but the ones that do got the best ones. Hopefully will stay in the family as long as possible.
    I've been told by my son though, to thin the herd of the milsurps I keep, and pass on the good ones with descriptions and value records.
    Time to sell some more average milsurps for NM and more valuable rifles to pass on later
    That Garand pic with your son is perfect.
    You are blessed Jay!
    Thank you, I count my blessings, am fortunate to have married the right woman and truly blessed with good, hard working sons and a mostly functional extended family, I just wish my Dad was around to see and interact with his grandkids, he passed in 2000 when they were all little, man do I miss him...

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-23-2021 at 06:43.