Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I have been enjoying 03 and 03-A3 rifles as well as K-98's for the last 40 years.

This is the first Krag I have ever actually owned.

Did not ever expect a receiver change in a rifle w/ such a short service life.

Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

IMHO - The 'short service' of the Krag is a bit exaggerated.

Almost 1/2 million U.S. Krags were manufactured over a ten year period.

Krag rifles and carbines saw service with the U.S. Army from 1894, to around 1907-08.
    Krag rifles were again used extensively from 1917-18, in WW-1 Training Camps.

The National Guard used Krags from around 1903 till 1913-14.

The Marines and Navy received Krags around 1900. It is rather vague as to when Krags completely disappeared from U.S. Navy ships.

There are actually three major Krag receiver types: model 1892, model 1896, and model 1898/1899

There are five major rear-sight types, with numerous sub-variations.

A Krag rifle has approximately 100 parts. The majority of those parts underwent several changes during the ten years of Krag production.

I have no desire to make the subject intimidating. Krags are very interesting. The more you learn, the more interesting they become.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 07-01-2021 at 03:15.

I am profoundly shocked.

Recently I found and bought a full-length Krag rifle stock. In error, I bought a stock that is for the third revision of the receiver. Mine is a second revision w/ rifle length barrel. It was happily a drop in fit.

I had no problems installing the middle band but did note with concern that there was no spring retainer. I did not understand why there was hole for the spring retainer.

As I was removing the butt-plate to swap it over to the rifle stock, shock set in. Someone took this barreled receiver and installed it in a standard Krag carbine stock. They just didn't get around to cutting the barrel down to carbine length! Only just now have I realized that the butt swivel on the carbine stock is different from the one of the rifle stock.

Looks like I will need to find and buy a nice rear swivel for the rifle stock. And ... I'll need to buy a butt-plate and the two screws required since the large screw that holds the butt-plate onto the carbine stock is stuck fast. I cannot budge it. I don't want to risk damage to the screw. Oh well. Live and learn!

Happily I have the afternoon off since no activities are scheduled for this evening at church. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Something's odd here. Normal Krag carbine stocks do not have any sling swivels. If yours has one and it's different from the standard rifle swivel assembly, it's likely aftermarket.

KragButtSwivel.jpg

Also, Krag rifle forearms do not use a band-spring. Instead there is a through-pin just ahead of the band, with one or both ends protruding just enough to keep the tightened band in place.

KragBandPin.jpg

I can help with the butt plate, but not the screws. Probably the butt swivel too, but might not be "nice" enough. I'll send you some pics in a couple of days.

Rifle lower bands clamp on and are prevented from moving forward by the little pin. Only carbines (and Cadet rifles) had band springs. No carbine stock originally had sling swivels - those found with them were done later, and if done at SA or another arsenal, the swivel used was that from the rifle, so there should be NO difference in the inletting.

Lots of Hunters put 'after-market' sling-swivels on Krag carbine stocks.

Photos of your barreled/action and stocks would allow a better evaluation of what you have.

Good evening all! I feel like I did way back in 1979 when I found and bought a 1888 Mauser in the .318 rather than the .323 8mm bore size. Gun shot fine w/ domestic 8mm hunting ammo, but it was most certainly not set up for German 8mm S ball!

I am right now getting some things out for a staff meeting tomorrow in preparation for a board meeting Thursday. Will take pictures as I now have a good iPhone w/ camera, etc. Hopefully I can figure out the posting of pictures, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

It's me again! It's Monday and I've finally got a day off!!! Tending to some paper work. After lunch, want to do some pictures of the rifle. How does one put pictures up? I have a Mac. Cannot get Igmur to work. Suggestions? Flicker? Sincerely. bruce.

If you have the pictures on your computer hard-drive, when you are typing your Reply, select "Go Advanced".

This will add icons that allow you to insert images as 'attachments'. Click on the Paper-Clip icon and you will be routed to 'file up-load manager'.

Follow instructions and you can upload photos to the Manager, organize the photos, and then attach them to your post.

It works good and is permanent with your post, unlike that off-site IMUR crap.