Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Krag Parts Needed

Need a full length rifle stock for a 1899 rifle.

Failing that, I need a forend that I can use to repair my current stock.

Need hand guard for rifle using 1902 rear sight

Need the front barrel band/bayonet lug.

Please reply by PM with info on item available.

Pictures much appreciated.

Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    . . . front barrel band/bayonet lug. . .
    Believe or not, there's a simpler term with some official status - "upper band".

Krag band names.jpg

Upper band! Makes sense. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

4. Default

Tough to reassemble any antique firearm. Be careful you don’t spend more than the price of a good quality Krag.

I refuse to to use the POS PM system - but, I may have a hand guard - will have to check.

6. Default

I'm not an "as-issued" Krag guy (though I do love my sporters), so I'm not certain of terminology/models. I have an 1898 (by the action marking) infantry rifle that due to some issues I may be parting out. Would parts from this one work for you?

Apologize for not having replied. Just now found your post. Fact is, just now got my computer going. I'm out of town in New Jersey at my daughter's house. Been spending a lot of time holding the new grandson. It will be at least Friday before I can get home. I'll be able to give you a better answer then. Right now I know I need a rifle stock for the full length infantry rifle. I need a front band. I need a hand guard that will work with a (I believe it is a ) 1902 rear sight. Sincerely. bruce.

8. Default

That works, I'm in no rush. Send me a note when you get back and I'll get some pics for you of what I have.

Well I done did it! I got me a nice full length rifle stock for my Krag. Now ... all I got to do is figure out which hand guard is correct for the rear sight ... and get my hands on a upper band. Dumb as it may sound to some, I just recently figured out that a Marbles marked front sight would not be USGI ... so I'll be on the look out for a front sight! Then, I guess I'll have to find a bayonet! After all, you never know when you might need to open a can of beans! Cartridge belt would be nice. Maybe one of those big brim hats one sees in the old paintings and photographs. Very happily it looks like this rifle may come together far sooner than I'd have thought. This is the first time I've worked with a rifle this old ... other than a GEW-88 that I had way back in about 1979/80. Just have always been fascinated with the older rifles.

You should get a straight-forward reference book, like Joe Poyers, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", to guide you through your parts shopping and decision making.

The book will cost you less than $30. A mistake on parts will cost you more!

A lot of parts on ebay are from vendor(s), parting-out complete Krags, to maximize profits.
    Kind of "robbing Peter to pay Paul".

IMHO - We can't restore Krags as fast as they are being destroyed.

A good provider of original (surplus) Krag parts is "Grandpa's Gunparts". He has an online catalog and also sells on ebay as 'Movieman630'.

Original and some reproduction Krag parts can be viewed and puchased from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. Their catalog can be viewed online.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-30-2021 at 09:04.