danco101 Guest

Default Srs request 1903 national match

I have a 1903 Springfield in Sporter configuration, Serial 1370815, star gauge barrel dated SA 4-30 Heavy barrel with no spline cut. also has NRA flaming bomb forward the floor plate, blue finish overall on all metal parts. grooved trigger marked cvs on sear. bolt numbered to rifle. but no other marks on bolt. heavy checkered butt plate.

any input appreciated, thanks
    Dan in Florida

Serial number 1370815 shows up as an A1NM. Will look further to see if I can find date.

No help on a date. Appears that it started life as 1903 National Match rifle in A1 configuration.
    Last edited by Johnny P; 04-05-2021 at 05:50.

3. Default

Sure would like to see pictures of t

- - - Updated - - -

Lets start over, pictures would be nice. Interesting that the rifle has the flaming bomb mark.

- - - Updated - - -

On the floor plate.

To the best of my knowledge the flaming bomb/NRA mark was used on the pre WW1 NRA/DCM rifle sales to identify it as a Sales rifle and not stolen. I don't believe it was used when sales resumed after WWI.

This is on a 1916 dated Special Target.

5. Default

You are 100% correct Johnny P, i have 2 in my collection. Just think its interesting that its on a rifle in the 1370000 range.

Prior to WWI the Model 1911 pistols sold to NRA members had NRA stamped under the serial number to also identify then as Sales weapons.

The marking was used from 1915 until US entry in WW1 to identify M1903 rifles legally owned by NRA members and civilian rifle clubs. I believe M1903 sales commenced somewhere around 1910 and issues developed concerning legal ownership of said rifles. The NRA marking was applied sometime, I believe, starting in mid 1915 to make the identification much easier.
    The marking was not resumed after WW1.
    J.J.