Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reloading for an original 45-70 trapdoor

I have loaded 45-70 with black powder with no issues. However, I want to load now with either Pyrodex or Triple 7 with a 500 gran bullet. Does anyone have loads they use and can share?
    Thank you

Pyrodex you can use volume to volume ( not grain for grain) to your BP loads. Word to the wise:
    Clean Pyrodex immediately. At least before sacking out for the night. On a humid day it will rust over ugly and you may need to soak to get the gun open let alone apart.
    Haven't worked with Trip,e Seven yet.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Only ever loaded for a TD Carbine, years ago. Used a cast 405 grain bullet with BP. In those days there was no internet to tell me that the load for a Carbine wasn't with 70 grains of BP. Or that BP is loaded by volume. A TD Carbine with 70 grains of BP hurts to shoot.
    Anyway, the Lyman BP handbook and Reloading Guide has suitable loads for a TD using Pyrodex. Dunno about Triple 7. Probably data on Hodgdon's site.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Only ever loaded for a TD Carbine, years ago. Used a cast 405 grain bullet with BP. In those days there was no internet to tell me that the load for a Carbine wasn't with 70 grains of BP. Or that BP is loaded by volume. A TD Carbine with 70 grains of BP hurts to shoot.....
    That's why the carbine load was 55 grains.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    That's why the carbine load was 55 grains.

jn
    As was the “cadet” rifle load.
    Last edited by JimF; 04-06-2021 at 12:42.

I have ruled out Pyrodex and Triple 7 for reloading my original trapdoor. As for other smokeless powders, how do Alliant 2400, Trail Boss, IMR 4595 and Accurate 5744 stand? I assume using 2400 that a starting load 22.0 is OK? Accurate 5744 starting at 23.4 to max. 26.0 is OK? I will be loading the 500 grain soft lead bullet. As an aside, I got some once fired 45-70 brass. Most of it is Starline with a few Hornady. The Starline measures 2.10 inches and the Hornady 2.04. Why the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    .... As an aside, I got some once fired 45-70 brass. Most of it is Starline with a few Hornady. The Starline measures 2.10 inches and the Hornady 2.04. Why the difference?
    Starline makes a longer case and cuts it down. They make 45-90 and I think up to a 3" case, say 45-120. The 45-70 standard case length is 2.1". The Hornady brass may be a little short.

jn

"...carbine load was 55 grains..." Yep. Found that out years after I traded the thing. Had no books and there was no internet to tell me that then.
    There are smokeless loads for a TD on Hodgdon's site. Only up to 485 grains though.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I settled on a powder Alliant 2400 @ 22.0 grains under the 500 graind soft lead bullet.
    Thank to all who responded!

I've used 2400 behind a 405 in a Handi Rifle but not in the 1884. Always kept those BP or substitute loadings.
    Aside from the chambering there is very little to compare between the two. The H&R did OK with the BP loadings but prefers the smokeless.
    Let us know how the smokeless/equivalent loads perform in yours? For the sake of curiosity, if you don't mind?

I let the trapdoor go a few years ago. Got more for it than I could have for the M1917 I traded for. But I still have the Handi as it's a bookend so to speak. 22 rimfire on one side and 45-70 on the other. Everything in between is a filler and anything beyond is 'something extra'. :-)
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**