Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here is the original black and white photo:

821CCDAB-92EF-4687-A0C2-5201C5269783.jpg

2. Default

Those reunions were most interesting. There is a video of some aged Confederate vets dong the infamous Rebel Yell on YouTube. The reunions continued well into the 20th Century. In the photos I have seen, everyone appears to be right friendly to each other. Their wives accompanied the vets, and those are some pretty tough looking old birds. Current attempts to wipe out Confederate history and Old South cultures are sad footnotes to American history. If the vets could forgive each other, it seems the rest of us should follow suit. My great grandfather John Carter Gregory fought as a Confederate, and he was against slavery. He always said it was impossible to find farm work due to slavery. He viewed the war as an invasion of the South, and slavery as an instrument to make a very few men very wealthy and the rest of the common men poor as church mice.

Here is a home movie of the last Gettysburg reunion.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/.../417-477562337

4. Default

I wonder what model belt the soldier on the right is wearing. It looks wider than an m1910.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle View Post
    Those reunions were most interesting. There is a video of some aged Confederate vets dong the infamous Rebel Yell on YouTube. The reunions continued well into the 20th Century. In the photos I have seen, everyone appears to be right friendly to each other. Their wives accompanied the vets, and those are some pretty tough looking old birds. Current attempts to wipe out Confederate history and Old South cultures are sad footnotes to American history. If the vets could forgive each other, it seems the rest of us should follow suit. My great grandfather John Carter Gregory fought as a Confederate, and he was against slavery. He always said it was impossible to find farm work due to slavery. He viewed the war as an invasion of the South, and slavery as an instrument to make a very few men very wealthy and the rest of the common men poor as church mice.
    Common sentiment in the north as well. My wife comes from Iowa Germans on her father's side, immigrants in the 1850s. We went to a family reunion a few years back, and nearby was the town cemetery where the original bearer of the family name is buried. Looking down to the northeast, the Mississippi river can be seen, maybe an hour away on horseback. Germany being a land of rivers and hillsides (especially in the southwest), it is no surprise that they felt a bit more at home in that region. Those Iowa Germans objected to slavery on the basis that they could not compete against unpaid labor, and they were willing to enlist and fight to keep the union intact. At the same time they had no particular desire to share Iowa with newly-freed slaves, and even passed laws to that effect.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    I wonder what model belt the soldier on the right is wearing. It looks wider than an m1910.
    I believe it is a Model 1903 belt. On the Model 1910 the adjustment was in the back, and the cartridge pockets were moved to the front up next to the buckle.

Shown is the Model 1903 on top, and 1910 on bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Interesting photo. Original b/w would be valuable. (All items related to Gettysburg are valuable.). The soldiers appear to be fully armed and are ready for anything. Probably a company that was assigned guard duty to protect and assist the veterans. You have to wonder if they appreciated the significance of the event?

Blue hat cords signifying enlisted men? (Gold = officers?) Both have hat pins, possibly regimental insignias. (Add - The soldier on the left has a regimental insignia pinned to his shirt pocket flap.).
    The hat cords are Campaign Cords; blue cords signify infantry. At this time only the Infantry is authorized to wear a cord which is currently worn over the right shoulder. Enlisted infantrymen also wear a blue disk around their collar brass. The ammunition pouches that are visible are empty. As far as the finish of the rifles, colors in these colorized pictures tend not to be true so their may be more blue finish than appears in the picture.
    Last edited by Art; 04-15-2021 at 03:52.

8. Default

Wonder if they were Regular Army or National Guard ?
    The one story I read about the 50th Gettyburg Reunion said at the end of the reenactment of Pickett's Charge, a couple of Confederate veterans leaped up on the Stone Wall to shake hands, one Union veteran replied:
    "You SOBs didn't get across here in '63 and you ain't getting across now!"

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    Wonder if they were Regular Army or National Guard ?
    Could be NG, it's possible the '03s were working their way down to the guard and replacing the Krags by then.