1. Default H&R 1873 Trapdoor sight question

I just acquired this rifle. It is in excellent shape, doesn't even look like it's been fired. The rear sight is a puzzle. I don't know if you use it by just sliding it up the ramp sightA.jpgsightB.jpgor if it stands up vertically. It looks as if you can use it either way.

Your H&R 73 TD is a gorgeous rifle! The rear sight is a demonstration of what happened when late 19th century inventiveness had a head on collision with devotes of highly adjustable sights for target shooting. Get yourself a big glass of sweet tea w/ plenty of lemon. Get yourself a big Key Lime Pie. Sit down and google that thing. Prepare to have fun. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Bruce look at the side of the sight when the staff is down you slide it up the ramp markings are from 1 thru 550. With it vertical it goes from 550 to 1200 these in yard. The sight shown is a version of the sight introduced in 1879. look on line for a further description of its settings. Hope this helps.

4. Default

That makes sense. The only problem for me is the V slot is very small. I looked up the Springfield sights and the V was much larger. There is a U shape on the bottom. Do you know if that sight can be reversed. Looks like it would be fairly easy.

if you mean could you remove the screws and turn the sight around, you could but its the same notch/ If you refer to the staff do not take that apart. If the notch is to small for your eyes you could take a small round file and modify it to suit your sight picture.