Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perplexing bargain K98k

I hope I get this right, been a while since I've posted photos. Picked this up this week, basement find with rampant surface rust which cleaned up nicely. Non matching and no import marks. No eagle over H, L, or M on the stock which is what I'm most perplexed about. Only marks on the stock will be in photos, the stamp behind the trigger guard appears to be a triangle with 19 over 40 inside the triangle. Your input will be much appreciated!

Steve

K98k1.jpgK98k2.jpgK98k3.jpgK98k4.jpgK98k7.jpg

K98k9.jpgK98k10.jpgK98k11.jpgK98k12.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And of course the pictures are tiny. Sorry guys, I tried...

Curious about the "R" on the barrel at the receiver, and extremely curious about the stock. I can't find a waffenampt anywhere on it. Post war? Non-German?

Steve

Fine looking rifle. Refinished, etc. Not what high cotton collectors look for. For lots of folks who want a nice clean shooter ... it is ideal! If the bore is good, that rifle will give you good service for many years ... and then will well serve your descendants. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Thanks for your input Bruce. I'm guessing maybe put together after the war given the mis-matched early/late war parts, definitely refinished (maybe arsenal done?), but not an amateur job based on how well the blue held up to all the surface rust I removed over this last week. Bore is GREAT, I forgot to mention that in the original post. I paid $265 OTD for this, picked it up Tuesday of this week. I'm one of those who love the story milsurps can tell. This one definitely has a story and I hope this fine group can help piece that together.

Steve

Is it missing the cleaning rod?
    Dunno if this will help or make your head explode.
    https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/uni...k/k98index.htm
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world...ptures-694936/
    Spelling and grammar count!

Thanks for the links Sunray. I didn't find anything about the triangle mark on either link, but they both had very interesting information. Yes, the cleaning rod is unfortunately missing.

Steve

Photos don't open for me. Can see that upper band is stamped, should be milled. Polished and hot blued. May have ben a Russian capture that someone has dressed up.

Thanks Johnny P. None of the parts are "correct" and I'm under zero delusion that it's anything special. I'm more curious if it was arsenal refurbished by perhaps E. Germany or maybe Romania? No typical Russian tell-tale signs, swastica's not peened, no Russian "X". I wouldn't think Yugoslavian either as they typically removed all German markings. It's a curiosity, and fun to ponder. I do appreciate your comments!

Steve
    Last edited by SteveC; 03-27-2021 at 04:05.

I sure haven't seen them all, but don't recall an arsenal refurbish in high polish blue (or that is what the postage size photos look like.)

Very good point Johnny. It still has a good amount of CLP on it which is adding to the shine, but it is a deep blue. There was so much surface rust when I got it, I couldn't really tell what color it was underneath. Whoever blued it did a great job and didn't dork up the markings by buffing it (and yeah, that's hard to tell by the photos too. Thanks again!

Steve