Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New owner all original 1864 Springfield Rifle Type 2

Hello and thank you all here, love this site its a wealth of information! I own a few of the old rifles, M1A, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903 Springfield, 1873 Trapdoor Carbine, 1898 Springfield Krag-Jorganson, and just got a 1864 Springfield Type 2.

The 1864 Springfield I got from a life long friend who dealt with estate sales. He told me it was always kept in the same family all its life. It was in dusty and sort of neglected stored for decades in a household closest. Anyway I went over it taking her gingerly apart and did some cleaning, did use my Wheeler Deluxe Tools so I wouldn't damage any screws etc. NO I did not uses any abrasives or metal brushes on cleaning ;-) . Loads of soapy hot water, "Never Dull" cotton cleaner, Muzzle Magic Cleaner, Hopps 9 and linseed oil for the stock. I should mention the stock has no cracks though had its share of dents and nicks and was pretty dried out. Prior to cleaning I examined it for any cartouche and saw none on the stock. Best as I can guess its a type 2. Always open for opinions or suggestions. Posted some before and after shots. Can't wait to try her out at the range. 1 Full View w:Bayonet.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful wonderful rifle! Excellent pictures! And the picture of you firing it on the back porch ... priceless! Sincerely. bruce.
    Last edited by bruce; 03-23-2021 at 04:10.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

A truly great piece of history! Congrats

4. Default

Thank you. I do have the video of shooting it. Have to figure on how to load it here. I do have property in the back so I shot it into a dirt hills side, no animals or small birds or southerner or northern liberals were hurt in this test lolol. It was unexpectedly loud so I limited myself to one shot that day and then off for a good cleaning. Its hands down of all my rifles the most fun to shoot!! Love it!!
    Last edited by RicM; 03-23-2021 at 11:08.

You've done an outstanding job with that rifle!! I have a couple of barrels I'd like to clean and I would like to try the techniques you describe. Your results are most encouraging.

Incidentally, back in the prehistoric days, when I was a lad and bought my first 1861 for 15 dollars from Robert Abels, and when there were 5 Civil War veterans still alive, they called your style Springfield a Model 1864. Nowadays, I guess they call it a Model 1863,Type 2. That sounds like the kind of thing created by our times. I don't know what the Armory folks called them, but the folks that used the things, just called them 1864"s.
    Last edited by 70ish; 03-24-2021 at 12:58. Reason: spelling

6. Default

Thank You!

The barrel and and other metal pieces I was lucky, had no severe pitted rust. Once I took apart the rifle I soaked for two days all the metal parts excluding the barrel in WD40. After which time I washed them with Murphys soap and Dawn dish washing detergent using a Scotch Brite Dobie Pads (its a plastic scrub sponge that does not scratch the softest of metals, sold in most all grocery stores) . Once dried with air compressor and stolen small towels from my wife's stash of extra towels (caught a bit of grief on that lolol) I used the "Nevr Dull" Polish (I swear by this stuff, it removes rust and doesn't hurt the metals cleaning. Used this for decades when I was detailing lightly pit rusted wheels and chrome on cars. Found in most all hardware and automotive stores)

Anyway while watching TV or sitting around I constantly kept wiping the Nevr Dull on the parts and then wiping them until I was satisfied with the results. As with the barrel I removed the nipple , first used steaming hot water and Dawn dish washing detergent pouring down the barrel a few times then used a nylon gun barrel brush instead of a brass one. Used compressed air blew dry and left another complete cleaning for later after the exterior of the barrel was done. Onward to the exterior of the barrel which was all yellow blemished with some rust starting to take hold. I soaked the barrel in WD40 in a bucket (half at a time) for two days. Once out and dried I was able to remove the rear site with the proper tool with no damage to the mounting screw and site. Then went to town on the exterior of the barrel. Loads of scrubbing with the Dolbie Pad in a slop sink with Dawn Detergent and hot water. Afterwards and dried I rubbed down the exterior with the Nevr Dull cotton swabs. Before I knew it the barrels original bright steal was shinning thru. There was some minor pit holes near the breach and where the nipple screws in. I got all or most of it cleaned out and left it. Then went on cleaning the inside of the barrel. I should note a very light use of gun oil on the all parts and assembly when I reassembled it,

As for the rear site I did take it apart again it was soaked then cleaned with Nevr Dull. I did NOT use the Dobie Pad as there was still original blueing and did not want to chance rubbing it out. Also I did NOT take the Lock Plate apart, I did have to replace the Sear Spring which was broken and replaced with a small coil spring (see Pic). That was a 90 minute road trip to S&S Firearms with only the Lock Plate (highly recommend the place) I bought a replacement sear spring and in 15 minutes he installed it.

As with the Stock after a very close examination seeing no stampings or ID markings, I used scrub brush sponge with Dolbie pad with Murphys soap. Got all grime off then a few coats of Boiled linseed did the trick. One site I used to help was this one for cleaning "Procedures to clean your M1861 Springfield Percussion Musket" Google it and its a free download. Useful especially for a beginner like me.

I simple love this rifle. The character and history and its survival history amazes me! And its fun to shoot!! Actually my wife's favorite & requested to hang it in the Living Room. Almost forgot to mention, it did come with the original same matching perfect bayonet and the scarab, which was beat up a bit, I did not touch the scarab, just stored it away for safe keeping.

Anyway sorry for the long post, I know most you guys are well informed with this and everyone has their own techniques, not saying mine is the best, just saying it worked for me, but if it can help one newbee like me its worth it. Sear Spring Replacement.jpg IMG_3340.jpg Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 10.46.47 AM.jpg
    Last edited by RicM; 03-24-2021 at 07:50.

7. Default

Nice looking any proof marks on the stock opposite the lock.