Default 22 heritage rough rider

Looked at one at lgs, single action 6 shot. 150 otd. Looks like a good cheap plinker, some say they have put 3,000 rounds through them with no problems. $ 50 more for a ruger wrangler but he didnt have on in stock.

Blog Entries

both are cheap (price wise) 22 revolvers,

the Heritage is made of pot metal, painted finish, and mostly works, (I've sent back only a few out of a few hundred sold), most for point of aim problems (shoot way left or right)

the Ruger is a bit more traditional in look, despite the cerakote or whatever finish option they use,

both have a certain cheese factor in quality, edge going to Ruger for better looking\quality feel
    the plastic ruger grips sometimes feel like they need trimming

I've not sent any Ruger's back, but I do think they could use a trigger job

Thanks Lyman for the comment on both of them. I am leaning towards the ruger as I have 3 of them. Never had issues with them.

I have a Ruger Wrangler that I bought 'used, like new', at LGS last Spring for $150.
    An added bonus was that the previous owner put Ruger wooden grips on it. The plastic ones were in the revolver's factory box.

It is a fun 'plinker', that I intend to leave with a son who lives in another state, as a 'vacation gun'.

Function is fine, but, one oddity I have noted with 'standard' velocity Winchester .22 ammo, (that is accurate in other .22 rifles and pistols, that I shoot), has tumbling bullets at 10 to 15 yards (?).

The "key-holes" are accurately on target, just unusual.

A MAN STOPPER .22!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 03-21-2021 at 04:19.

Friend of mine offered me a ruger new model single six (1975) 22lr. told me take it home & try it. Fired some rem mohawk in it. Shot good groups (for me). A little blue wear on of barrel & ejector housing. fired very little. Heavy compared to the wrangler. Offered it to me for $175 so I bought it with out haggling. Never looked back.

Blog Entries

that was a very good deal for a very nice revolver,

yes, they are heavy, but they are built like a tank

I bought the Ruger last year. Gave it to my grandson because I couldn't sell the thing. Loading gate had an unnecessarily stiff spring in it, and I understand it's a very common complaint about the piece. Strong enough to break and rip fingernails stiff, I kid you not. It was NOT made of pot metal, but it damned sure wasn't a Single Six!
    After selling several truck loads of the Heritage revolvers in years past, I finally took one home for myself after the Ruger and I parted ways. The Heritage is most emphatically NOT made of "pot metal", either! Not heat treated 7076 T6, mind you, but it's more than up to the task of handling the stresses of .22 LR and WMR. One thing the Ruger cannot accomodate is the WMR round. Nope. Ruger won't make a cylinder for the round.
    With a bit of shopping, you can even find a Heritage with adjustable sights, or a 16" barrel, or one with a 16" barrel and a butt stock, or....a slew of inexpensive, quality accessories that ship fast, fit well, are priced 'right', and did I mention they hit yer mail box fast?
    The Ruger uses a transfer bar, and will safely carry six rounds, the Heritage, even with that horrendous 'safety', warns to only carry five, with the hammer over an empty chamber. I ignore it, and if I blow one of my toes off, I'll promptly report it.
    All things considered, this guy has to grudgingly give the nod to the Heritage. Sorry Ruger fans. Ruger could've had a home run on their hands at that price point, but they choked.
    IF you've already jumped the gun, and bought the Ruger, almost anyone can pony up a couple hundred bucks or much less in the coming holiday season sales, and give the Heritage guns a try. If nothing else, you'll have a sixgun for each hand!
    (Oh, BTW, please don't misunderstand my comments.....when I head out the door, I usually have a Model 17, Model 63, or Model 41 in the holster when I go out and goof around in the desert or sit by the stream...)
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-15-2021 at 03:04.