Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any case, any primer I don't size the case if fired in my Marlin just a light bell at the mouth. 60 grains of most any BP 2FG a 30 vege card over the powder, no drop tube, tap the rim of the case to settle the powder put the card in and 1/4 inch compression set the bullet and crimp. It's pretty tough to get 70 grains in a case but Winchester cases come closest and I can get 65 grains in those. I'm going to work up a duplex load to help the burn. I cast my own 405's with a Lee and soft lead then lube size in a Lyman sizer at .458 and use a slightly altered NRA 50-50 with Bore Butter and or bees wax, depends on how hard or soft I want it. Shoots good. I would like to try Swiss one of these days.

Similar here. No drop tube. Fill the case with whatever it will hold allowing the bullet to fit with only slight compression. Weigh that then throw charges. Light crimp for storage and transportation purposes.
    Clean shot/American Pioneer Powder never gave me any problems in any BPC. Used it in Smith Carbine loads too. As well as front stuffers. Then again I don't seek long range-benchrest results nor have i invested in more equipment than needed for my i tended puropses.
    Short or intermediate range and hitting what I want is good enough for a weekend afternoon.

Thinking....I did have a problem with APP in 45 Colt revolver. Had some case setback where the fired case often dragged against the recoil shield. Attributed it to the slower burn not expanding the case quickly enough. Faster powder was the remedy there.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    ...... I would like to try Swiss one of these days.
    I've used Goex and Swiss in my 45-70s, 65 to 70 gr compressed & standard primers and a 385gr cast bullet (lead has gotten pricey lately). The Swiss loads had a stronger bark than the Goex... When my brother got his cheap Chrony, I was able to get readings: both powders were really consistent between shots, but the Goex loads were in the 1100 fps range and the Swiss were a little over 1300.

Buffalo Arms sells the Swiss. They are in Sandpoint ID, so I pick up powder there when I'm visiting family. They have a good price on lead too.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I've used Goex and Swiss in my 45-70s, 65 to 70 gr compressed & standard primers and a 385gr cast bullet (lead has gotten pricey lately). The Swiss loads had a stronger bark than the Goex... When my brother got his cheap Chrony, I was able to get readings: both powders were really consistent between shots, but the Goex loads were in the 1100 fps range and the Swiss were a little over 1300.

Buffalo Arms sells the Swiss. They are in Sandpoint ID, so I pick up powder there when I'm visiting family. They have a good price on lead too.

jn
    I've got both Kick and GOEX along with Pyrodex, Shockey's Gold and another sub to piddle around with. I've never chronographed any BP loads.....yet. Swiss is supposed to be pretty good stuff and there's another one that's been mentioned but I cant recall it right now. I might take a drive up to Buffalo Arms when the snow is mostly gone to pick up some stuff and look around for another home. I loaded up some 69 grain loads in Win cases the other day and took them out in the desert, seemed to shoot pretty good. A duplex load will clean up the barrel some so I might load some up to test when I pick the rifle up from the smith in Helena. Be nice to not lose skin in the loading gate and be better at feeding, I hate a rifle that's not reliable in feeding. Once I get my 405 grain load I'll work on a Lee 350 grain load. I would like to hunt with the BP loads.
    BudT

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    .. A duplex load will clean up the barrel some so I might load some up to test when I pick the rifle up from the smith in Helena. Be nice to not lose skin in the loading gate and be better at feeding, I hate a rifle that's not reliable in feeding. Once I get my 405 grain load I'll work on a Lee 350 grain load. I would like to hunt with the BP loads.
    BudT
    My rolling block has a barrel with "whitworth" deep-groove rifling. Look in the muzzle the hole is almost a hexagon. The narrow lands poke up out of the fouling and grip the bullet just fine no matter how many shots you fire. My 1884 trapdoor has a mint 3-groove barrel and fouling doesn't seem to bother it either. So I don't bother with duplex loads or cleaning between shots. The rolling block has a 24" barrel and burns 70 gr of 2fg just fine - it is my elk hunting back-up gun. It just points and shoots naturally - you see something you shoot something.

jn

I use the old “carbine load” in my 1873 TD carbine: a 405 grain FN bullet, 55 grains of FFg,, a Walters wad/grease cookie over the powder and a modern filler (Pufflon) to the case mouth.
    The big Browning BPCR gets as much FFg as I can fit (about 63 grains) dropped through a tube, a grease cookie, and a Lyman Postell bullet.
    Last edited by Pete D.; 11-30-2022 at 03:57.