Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Loading 45-70 for trapdoor

Is a drop tube necessary for black powder or tamp it and seat a bullet firmly. The powder is triple 7 ffg.

Blog Entries

maybe,
    not knowing the weight of the load,

I could never get 70 grs of black powder in a 45-70 case using a cut-off 45-70 case or powder measure but a tube will or
    should do the job. I do remember using about 6 grains of 4759 in the bottom of each 45-70 case then load the black
    powder. Bore would stay clean

When loading black powder I use a 24 inch drop tube, I then pack the powder tightly and seat a 500 grain bullet on top which will compact the powder even more. It is essential that the powder in packed solid! The recoil fro a 70 grain 500 weight bullet is punishing! I like to load 60 grains of BP then a 405 grain bullet. I do have a powder compress tool to tightly pack BP.
    Last edited by Major Tom; 03-19-2021 at 07:19.

Thanks guys, the load will be 60-65 grs triple 7 ffg w/405 gr bullet. Also have clean shot bp substitute that I bought 15 yrs ago& never used. Read on BP sites that this stuff had low velocities & was not accurate

Triple 7 is not supposed to be compressed please read about it.

Just about out of bp. Picked up triple 7 read that just set bullet on powder, not to compress. Never used triple 7 in carthriges,

I have Triple 7 too, never used it yet. Look at loading manual for load info. I would say that the proper load would not be compressed. Keep us informed!

I use Swiss 2FG. A measured 70 gr just about fills the case, then I put a felt wad on top. I'm shooting a 385 gr bullet I cast up myself, 1:20 tin-lead greased with bore butter. I can seat the bullets just deeper than the top groove. The powder ALWAYS goes off when I pull the trigger.

The bore butter is a good lube but you don't want to carry the shells in your pocket.

jn

Only ever loaded a cast 405 .45-70 for a TD Carbine. TD Carbines don't/didn't use 70 grains of BP. Doing that hurts to shoot. Thus ended The Great BP Cartridge Experiment.
    BP is loaded in grains by volume. A drop tube is supposedly how that's done.
    Then I found the Lyman BP Handbook and Reloading Guide. Tells you everything you need to know and isn't stupid expensive direct from Lyman.
    Spelling and grammar count!