Default N.R.A. Sporter star gage marking.

I was going through some old records the other day and came across a note I had made on an early N.R.A. Sporter. I seem to remember seeing this rifle at gun show in Spokane Wa about 15 years ago. It is the only N.R.A. Sporter I have ever seen with the star gage number on TOP of the barrel instead of the bottom, as was the later practice. The location was about midway between the band and receiver. I found this rather interesting and thought I would share.
    Specifics are:
    Ser. # 1255588.
    Bbl. date 4/23
    Star gage # -B over 340.

The rifle you saw is very popular. The data and pictures have been posted on forums over the past two years.

J.B.

p.s.,

You might find this interesting. Follow the link.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14872966
    Last edited by John Beard; 03-07-2021 at 10:57.

I have been away from the forums for quite a number of years so I was not aware of that. Do you have any information on the serial numbering of Sporter bolts that I posted on the previous thread?

Yes, real close to the one I observed years ago. It would be interesting to find out when they moved the star gage number to the bottom and started numbering the bolts. My guess for the bolts would be in the late 1925, early 1926 time frame. I observed #1270405, bbl. date 10-25 that was not numbered. Thanks for the info.

I have no information regarding serial numbering of Sporter bolts.

I can't be certain, but moving the star gauge number to the bottom of the barrel was apparently instigated that same month.

J.B.

Blog Entries

I will not take time to research it for certain but I believe they started numbering the bolts in 1924. The bolts were numbered on top of the bolt until about 1930 then they started numbering the bolts on the bottom. When the bolt on the bottom numbered ones is removed from the receiver the extractor has to be
    rotated 90 degrees to see it.