Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Antique Shop Pick

4F34D786-89FC-4BF3-B72F-A3613CDEDD53.jpg

Here’s an interesting antique shop pick. This is a Weston Model 1 DC Ammeter that was made by the Weston Electrical Instrument Corp. in Newark, NJ. It appears to be in like new condition.

Edward Weston was a pioneer in electrical measurement in the late 1880s and his Model 1 began its production run in 1888. It is the earliest mass produced laboratory type electrical meter that measured what was known in 1888 as “invisible energy.” The Serial Number is 59053 which places the meter’s production in 1915 to 1920. The original carrying case is missing.

I visit this antique mall in Ft. Myers, FL every year and have bought several items from this vendor. The meter has been sitting in his display case for several years and, since I used to repair and calibrate the Model 1 in the 1970s when I worked for GE, I decided to make him an offer that was accepted.
    Last edited by Merc; 03-10-2021 at 03:10.

2. Default

Very nice. Beautiful item.

Friend was rummaging around, like you in a junk shop in Baltimore. Found a main vacuum gauge for cheap and took it home. When he took it apart to start cleaning it he found the inscription on the back of the mechanism. "Patrick Henry. Fairfield Yard".
    Last edited by barretcreek; 03-07-2021 at 10:15.

Very nice my dad collected meters when he was alive he would love that one thank you for posting

I always thought Thomas Edison was involved in developing early electrical measurement devices. He must have worked with Weston meters. I saved about a dozen antique GE portable box meters similar to the Weston Model 1 1888 meter from the dumpster just before I retired but the earliest date of manufacturing I could find on the GE meters was 1909. That was probably when the Weston patents expired.
    Last edited by Merc; 03-10-2021 at 03:05.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Very nice. Beautiful item.

Friend was rummaging around, like you in a junk shop in Baltimore. Found a main vacuum gauge for cheap and took it home. When he took it apart to start cleaning it he found the inscription on the back of the mechanism. "Patrick Henry. Fairfield Yard".
    The SS Patrick Henry was a Liberty ship built at the Fairfield Ship yard in Baltimore in 1941.

Is there any interest in old antique hand crank telephone stuff? I have an American Electric, (Chicago), hand cranked generator that was apparently used by linemen to test circuits. It works and is in amazingly good shape for a item that is going on 100 years old including the original leather carrying strap. It is marked "10000" or "00001" depending on how you look at it.
    Last edited by RED; 03-07-2021 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Is there any interest in old antique hand crank telephone stuff? I have an American Electric, (Chicago), hand cranked generator that was apparently used by linemen to test circuits. It works and is in amazingly good shape for a item that is going on 100 years old including the original leather carrying strap. It is marked "10000" or "00001" depending on how you look at it.
    Red,

I did a quick Internet search on American Electric and hand cranked telephone generators. I found plenty of old Western Electric hand cranked telephone generators but nothing on American Electric. Can you post a photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Red,

I did a quick Internet search on American Electric and hand cranked telephone generators. I found plenty of old Western Electric hand cranked telephone generators but nothing on American Electric. Can you post a photo?
    Sorry, but I can’t post pictures any more but Google “American Electric Collectors Association”. That will should get you pics of the device.

PM me a email addy and IÂ’ll send pics to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bdm View Post
    Very nice my dad collected meters when he was alive he would love that one thank you for posting
    Do you still have his collection?

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Sorry, but I can’t post pictures any more but Google “American Electric Collectors Association”. That will should get you pics of the device.

PM me a email addy and IÂ’ll send pics to you.
    Red,

I found your generator on eBay.

Edit - It’s up for auction with a minimum starting bid of $60. Watch it to see if anyone bids on it. I suspect it’s value is probably somewhere around $100 to $125. If the 10000 refers to the amount of voltage produced, then it was used to test insulation resistance. Ringing generators would produce around 48 volts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-han...sAAOSwIe1gRTF7
    Last edited by Merc; 03-09-2021 at 04:18.