Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1917 use in Alaska

I lifted this from another forum. A great article on the ATK formed for WWII, and their rifles. Enjoy the history!
    https://www.billstclair.com/weaponsm...html%3Fp=35936

2. Default

And their were other contributors, I have always been impressed with the effort made by Elinore Roosevelt And Mayor LaGuardia.

Our military could not cover the Pacific Northwest, there were times the list of characters read more like a sitcom.

Two elderly coast watchers (Husband and wife) reported a submarine floating off the cost of Oregon. The Army had to take them seriously so they dispatched a B25; when the B25 arrived to investigate they asked control to ask the costal watchers how high the submarine was floating. The answer was almost immediate; they claimed the submarine was floating about 600 ft. high. The pilot of the B25 asked control to contact the Navy; he wanted to know if the navy had blimps in the area. The pilot knew how to treat old people.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 03-07-2021 at 07:08.

Guffey
    There is no mention at at all of the first lady or a Mayor. This is a well done article on real history.

If your going to interject them, provide provenance and proof, or stay out!

Blog Entries

I read an article recently of a phenomena where a ship or similar article will appear to be floating in air,

something to do with atmosphere conditions and light playing tricks with your eyes,

meanwhile, re the 1917's,, and cold weather, IIRC the Dane's still use them in Greenland,

Yeah, similar to the Danish Sirrius sled patrol. Wouldn't be surprised if a few M '17s are still kicking around in Native villages
    in Alaska.

6. Default

If your going to interject them, provide provenance and proof, or stay out!
    And their were other contributors, I have always been impressed with the effort made by Elinore Roosevelt And Mayor LaGuardia.
    I should have left out the part about being impressed with their efforts; I could have predigest their effort. I should not expect other members to be impressed.

And then there were the B25s in the Pacific Northwest, a few of them there instructed to take off for Florida for instructions on short field takeoffs.

F. Guffey

7. Default

instructed to take off for Florida
    I believe they were to report to runway 2 and runway 1. About 25 years after that Charlie Beckwith was training on the same runways.

F. Guffey

8. Default

Mayor LaGuardia had his hands full with orphans, in some parts of New Work city the orphans were referred to as 'Dodges', I know, The baseball team in Brooklyn was named "DODGERS" to make sure no one confused them as orphans Dodger fans claimed they got the name by dodging streetcars.

Elinor Roosevelt knew we had a shortage in the population on the west coast; while working with Mayor LaGuardia they came up with a plan that solved two problems, they decided to send the orphans to the Pacific Northwest. No one had to catch them, the orphans volunteered and I wondered if they kept/used the game names like the East side gage or Bowery Boys etc. 7 Points.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 03-16-2021 at 08:34.

9. Default

"ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
    You can google if you are interested in what Charlie Beckwith was doing in Florida or read a book about the long Gray Line.

We are talking about Alaska not the Pacific NW nor the Right Coast let alone B-25 and assorted nonsense about going to Florida

Yes the 1917 was Predominant in the Native Guard units. Saw one once at a gun show. Great history.