I have always wondered when Springfield Armory started electro penciling serial numbers on the bottom of N.R.A Sporter bolts. Was it done at the start of Sporter production or later, as in National Match rifles, theirs being on top.
I have observed two Sporters, #1270223, bbl date 9/25 and #1270405, bbl date 10/25 that, in my opinion still retained their original bolts. The bolt in #1270233 was numbered and the bolt in #1270405 was not. The number on #1270223 is highly suspect as it was applied in the correct location but numbered with the locking lugs facing left
Both bolts have the correct WL3 heat lot number and have what I believe to be the original armory polish. The recessed area at the rear of both bolt handles that is normally covered by the bolt sleeve retain the dull, mottled heat surface with no evidence of any Parkerizing ever having been applied. They were probably polished after heat treat with no other finish applied.
Does anybody in the forum have an early Sporter with an un numbered bolt they consider to be original to the rifle? If so, what serial range and barrel date?
All replies greatly appreciated.