Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ruger securty six

Have one, 4in 6 shot. its a handful with full house 357, anbody else have one? alittle bulky when compared to Smith or Colt.

Blog Entries

I've never owned one, (I'm more of a Smith fan) but have sold a few,

I can tell you they have a very dedicated following and a very good resale,

Ruger makes a fine revolver

Had one. Enjoyed it. Standard four inch blue. Accurate as any other quality .357 revolver. Bit heavier than the K-frame S&W. DA was nice. SA was heavy. With Pachmayr Presentation grips, it was very nice. Less expensive than a S&W. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

4. Default

Ret'd Dallas PD officer told me department armorers tested confiscated weapons to destruction. Couldn't blow up the Rugers.

The Speed Six, and Security Six were the last issue revolvers for the old Border Patrol and INS Special Agents. Extremely robust revolvers. S&W K frame .357 Magnums were not made for a steady diet of full house magnums (125 gr. 1450 fps Rem. or Fed. SJHP in this case) and would often fail at 3,000 - 3,500 rounds of the hot stuff which came around faster than you'd think when you're putting 300-400 rounds through each revolver in qualification and training each year. Damage to privately owned and carried K frame "Smiths" (usually "flame cutting") caused the agency to back off to the milder 110 gr. 1,280 fps Magnums for training and issue, or the no longer available 125 gr. SJHP 1,250 fps load. The point of this is that no GP100 or Speed Six revolver ever failed, no load was too hot for them and no round count was too high.

The guns were bigger than "K" frame S&Ws in every dimension and of course heavier. their actions weren't as smooth either, though later ones got better. However, if you want a rugged, robust and extremely durable revolver as a nightstand gun that you can also take out into the elements, especially the stainless steel versions, you can't go wrong with one of these.

My duty guns were all privately owned "K" frame S&Ws. One of them, a Model 13 was one of the ones that wore out because of excessive use of hot magnums. My last one was a 3" Model 66, so I do prefer the sleeker smoother "Smiths" but there is no denying the virtues of any of the old Rugers.

Oh, the "industrial strength" hot 125 gr. loads were still authorized for for duty and I always carried them at work, but the last 7-8 years I was "on the job" we were qualifying and training with the mid power 110 gr. Magnums
    Last edited by Art; 03-05-2021 at 07:04. Reason: Spelling, grammar, syntax, typos

Blog Entries

the first revolver I bought was a 3" model 66 Smith,
    round butt, full length ejector,

still have it and still carry it once in a while,

I've shot enough .357 thru it to be familiar with it, but used it for a few years in some informal bowling pin matches shooting a Keith bullet load .38spl or wadcutters in it,

eta,, it was a Lew Horton special ,
    Last edited by lyman; 03-06-2021 at 06:08.

Mine is a night stand gun, 158gr hollow point.

8. Default

Bought my 6" Stainless used in 1976, still have it. A set of Bullseye springs lightened the too heavy trigger pull while maintaining 100% reliablity, Pachmayr grips provide comfort. Mine is extremely accurate.

I had a Security Six (200th year of American liberty) in stainless and the 4" Police Service Six in blue. (Speed Six w/square butt)

The PS model I used for "racing". Millet hi-vis front sight, Magnaport, action job with springs incl rigger softened edges, and Hogue grips. My favorite shooter. Wherever I pointed it naturally found the spot I wanted.

Was running 125s with a top end charge of W296. With the Magnaporting the muzzle flash and noise was too much. Some thought I was using a shortened 41 mag at first. Those 100 rounds were used up and not loaded anymore. No detrimental effect on the gun as it performed as always.
    I didn't let those loads near my k frames nor L frame Smiths. The Blackhawk however seemed to like the last 25 which were left.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

My favorite hiking companion in a fanny pack.

loaded with the Hornady 140 gr. XTP and a speed loader with Federal 180gr Hot-cast lead loads for animal use [black bear].
    Last edited by jjrothWA; 04-02-2021 at 07:56.