Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oscars View Post
    Art, it would have been interesting to note your antibody titer after your infection with COVID and to compare that value with the title after vaccination. Not that I would want you to be a guinea pig!
    It's a little late now but, yeah, that would be interesting. My strong reaction to the first dose of the vaccine was almost entirely due to the vaccine triggering my immune system which docs I know tell me is proof the vaccine is working. There is some dispute as to whether I need a second shot because I've had covid but I'm on the schedule so I guess I will and hope the reaction is less severe than last time when I spent a day in bed with a 102 degree fever.

For what it is worth, Pfizer has developed a new vaccine which can be taken orally. This is supposed to reduce the problems with the injections. It is now going through it's first tests.

Art, doctor from Northwestern University/ Feinberg school of medicine has stated numerous times exactly what you have been told. I'm not qualified to repeat his words with any accuracy. However your type of situation has been discussed and I have good reason to think what you were told is sound advice. Get the second dose but brace for a possible reaction.
    If any consolation, I know a guy half our age who suffered a severe reaction as you did. His second shot went without a hitch. Hope your goes as well.

As an aside but related, every year I pay my token union dues in the first quarter. As a retiree I can pay at my convenience. Now that I'm carrying a current card for 2021 I was told I'm classified as 1B+. Just need to find a vaccination site which isn't backlogged now.
    Local restrictions and definitions along with mind boggling changes.....

If lucky in a sense I'll be too early for an approved oral vaccine. I cannot fathom why that would be any different regarding reactions though.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Update

Tired of the "virtual waiting room" routine for hours only to be told No Joy, I went to the phone tag route. Got lucky and was told I could slip into a one hour window.
    Received my first dose of the Pfizer on Friday with an appointment for the follow up.
    Minor reactions. Felt a little light headed about 15 minutes afterward. Nothing serious. Just noticeable. An hour later began feeling as though I had the onset of a serious cold. A few hours of that and I decided to hit the sack.
    Awoke feeling a little nauseous for a while but that passed within the hour. Soreness at the injection site was no more than I feel with my Tetanus boosters. So, no serious reactions this time around.

The vaccinations were at an area college west of the city. Staffed by the Illinois National Guard. I couldn't help but notice how well they had the process running. Professional, courteous, all the way down the line station to station. What could have been a logistical clusterf**k if handled by civil servants and volunteers...it wasn't. Not a single wasted movement.
    Most of the Guardsmen were younger than my own kids but their demeanor instilled a sense of competence resulting in an immediate sense of confidence on my part.
    Tip o' the hat! I knew there had to be something good still left in Illinois!

5. Default

The local hospital was giving the injections and letting the patient go. The local pharmacies were requiring you to wait 15 minutes to be sure there was no reaction. What was another 30 minutes after a lost year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Update

Tired of the "virtual waiting room" routine for hours only to be told No Joy, I went to the phone tag route. Got lucky and was told I could slip into a one hour window.
    Received my first dose of the Pfizer on Friday with an appointment for the follow up.
    Minor reactions. Felt a little light headed about 15 minutes afterward. Nothing serious. Just noticeable. An hour later began feeling as though I had the onset of a serious cold. A few hours of that and I decided to hit the sack.
    Awoke feeling a little nauseous for a while but that passed within the hour. Soreness at the injection site was no more than I feel with my Tetanus boosters. So, no serious reactions this time around.

The vaccinations were at an area college west of the city. Staffed by the Illinois National Guard. I couldn't help but notice how well they had the process running. Professional, courteous, all the way down the line station to station. What could have been a logistical clusterf**k if handled by civil servants and volunteers...it wasn't. Not a single wasted movement.
    Most of the Guardsmen were younger than my own kids but their demeanor instilled a sense of competence resulting in an immediate sense of confidence on my part.
    Tip o' the hat! I knew there had to be something good still left in Illinois!

a friend on that other forum we frequent lives in Tinsley Park,

he and his wife ended up driving to some place in southern Ill to get the J&J shot, since they were not of the proper demographic for the area they live in to get in line

Received the Moderna 2nd shot a week ago. Slight head ache, couldn't tell if anything I felt was caused by the shot or my normal medications. No big deal here thank GOD.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    a friend on that other forum we frequent lives in Tinsley Park,

he and his wife ended up driving to some place in southern Ill to get the J&J shot, since they were not of the proper demographic for the area they live in to get in line
    I'm sure you meant Tinley Park? About 25 miles south of me as the crow flies. About an hours drive with Chicago traffic
    I was subjected to the same bias. The one avoiding racism....?
    Tinley is on the edge of Cook, almost Will county. No surprise they needed to travel. Do the end run and take what you can get while the getting is good. Otherwise wait a few more months and pray you aren't exposed as more and more start to ignore the restrictions.

I had the Pfizer shots the second one made my arm and neck sore and i felt like i was coming down with something for a few days then it passed

Did everyone, use the same arm for injection or did you alternate arms?

I 'm do the coming thursday and figure I alternate the arm [left arm for first and right for follow-up, getting the Moderna vaccine.

Thanks for responses.