Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Which Firearm got away, as in I shoulda bought it

me,,

SIG PE57,
    Dad had in inventory, and was going to give it to me for Christmas but I told him it was a bit much, take it to the next show (tiny show in Charlottesville Va) and if it did not sell, I would take it home,

yup, it sold, an I have not seen one since locally

and I'm not going to discuss the Beretta AR 70 or the Valmets,,,,,or the HK P9S 45,,,,

I had a mint, beautiful beyond description, Persian Mauser in my hands for 700 bucks in 1998 at the Armory of Orange in Orange, california. Went back the next day with cash in my pocket and lo and behold it was gone..

By the way, Robert House's Classic Firearms in Va Beach has had the HK P9S...

There are two. off the top of my head.

A Thomas Bland .470 Nitro Express box lock double rifle at a gun show back in the 1980s; $500.00. Almost surely a professionals rifle, about 90% bluing with very faded color case hardening on the unengraved receiver, the checkering had some wear and the stock had minor "character." tight as a bank vault, like all of its type carried a lot and shot little. I had no use for it then, or now but I've got plenty of other stuff I have no real use for either but enjoy very much. It was probably a $2,500.00 rifle back then, I don't want to think about what it would bring now.

A really nice SMLE No 1 Mk III* all matching about 95% finish, bright and shiny bore, for $100.00, again at a gun show in the late 1990s - early 2000s. SMLEs in that condition ran $500.00 to $600.00 where I live back then and more than double that now. A heck of a deal. I drooled over it and then passed on it.

I'm sure I could think of others, but the fact I can remember those two in such detail from 20-40 years ago says something.
    Last edited by Art; 02-20-2021 at 05:13. Reason: correction, redundancy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Scott View Post
    I had a mint, beautiful beyond description, Persian Mauser in my hands for 700 bucks in 1998 at the Armory of Orange in Orange, california. Went back the next day with cash in my pocket and lo and behold it was gone..

By the way, Robert House's Classic Firearms in Va Beach has had the HK P9S...
    Robert has some good stuff,

had one in shop inventory a year or so ago,, but just could not take it home, it was a good shooter, and I am trying to get over that one,

Lee Speed sporter carbine in 303. Drop dead gorgeous. Could have had it for $750 (IIRC). Estate liquidator at a CADA show. Had enough to put down good faith money while I ran to an ATM for a couple hundred more. Wife threw a conniption fit.
    That was in the late 90's. That was the last time she ever went to a show or gun shop with me.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Me and my shooting buddy went to a gun show on the other side of the valley. I came across a guy selling a Grarand. It was a 3.8 something. June of 1945. Those rifles always look great a lot of them never saw action. But I was carrying around another rifle that I was trying to sell. Next thing I see, my buddy has the rifle and he's crowing, look what I found. Got it for $700.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I had a chance to get a M1 Garand Match Rifle and a 1941 Johnson Rifle both for $1200,00 dollars only had enough for one i purchased the 1941 Johnson Rifle for $600,00 dollars it came with a lot of parts and an extra stock and barrel and bayonet by time i had the money for the Garand Match rifle the gentleman sold it the one i missed we all have that one

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bdm View Post
    I had a chance to get a M1 Garand Match Rifle and a 1941 Johnson Rifle both for $1200,00 dollars only had enough for one i purchased the 1941 Johnson Rifle for $600,00 dollars it came with a lot of parts and an extra stock and barrel and bayonet by time i had the money for the Garand Match rifle the gentleman sold it the one i missed we all have that one
    I left the tables to take a break at one show years and years ago,

guy walked by with a Johnson he wanted $900 for,

looked all over for that guy and it was long gone (in 10 minutes,,)

picked one up a few years later for $1500, and a bayonet for $250,

Morgan’s gun shop on Jacksboro Highway in Fort Worth got in at least 6 maybe more Lee Speed Sporters, all different. Hunting lodge guns from the UK or maybe British Forces’ special services loaners? They were about $35 in 1967. Oh well.

Geez. A rerun.
    A real BAR for $500Cdn. Long before FA was a big hairy deal up here. Had the money but had just been laid off and couldn't spend it. Been crying ever since. sniff.
    Then there was the set of dueling pistols, percussion with saw grips, as I recall, for $600Cdn.
    The pair of consecutively numbered Vaqueros was too expensive at $2500Cdn.
    Most M1 Rifles never left North America or saw any combat. 5,468,772 of 'em made.
    Never seen an M41 Johnson up here in decent enough condition to bother with.
    Spelling and grammar count!