Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time to buy an Ak?

I'm not looking to buy an AK but I have been thinking about the way things are with that market so here are some thoughts if you think you might want one now.

First: most US manufactured AKs have significant issues compared to foreign manufactured models. Century Arms all US made AK rifles can be exceptionally problematic. Apparently making an AK from scratch isn't as simple as everyone thought it would be. I understand Palmetto State Armory Gen 2 and later with forged front trunions are pretty decent but even they lack amenities like chrome lined barrels, and often even cleaning rods.

second: It is generally understood in the AK community that com bloc manufactured AKs are superior just about everywhere it counts, especially the trunions on AKM variants., as well as head spacing and parts fitting where it matters (not talking cosmetics here.)

Third: Joe Biden can stop the importation of all AK type rifles with the stroke of a pen. It's already been done with Saigas, Polytechs and Norincos. If you want any of those three its going to be expensive, and in new condition it'll be outrageous. I'm actually surprised he hasn't done it yet with the currently imported models so if you want a foreign made AK this might be the time to think about getting one even if the prices are somewhat inflated at the moment. If they go away I suspect they aren't coming back no matter who wins in 2024.
    Last edited by Art; 02-20-2021 at 04:18. Reason: Grammar, clarity

Blog Entries

Late to the AK party Art,

if you want the cream of the crop in the AK world, go Valmet

and the AK crowd is probably as picky if not more so than the AR crowd and their Tiers (who is good, who is not, and all in between)

reality is,, it depends on how much you want to spend, and how many rounds you are planning to shoot

re the Century guns, they were poo poo'ed when new, (some, not all, since some are Century imported or made for Century here in the US) but have increased a bit in price in the past year, despite the faults the internet folks find with them

I understand the Valmets are also banned from import . I'm sure anyone who owns one will expect a significant premium if he were to sell, and he'd probably only sell if his wife needed a kidney.

Century imports (read that WASRs) actually have a good rep once you get past the fact they can be butt ugly, even for an AK. The old boy on the net who runs AK 4774 Operator's Union has over 10,000 rounds through an old WASR with hardly hiccup.

AKs just vary a lot which is one reason why the AK crowd is so pickey. Unlike ARs they can run from "garbage sticks" to great rifles.
    Last edited by Art; 02-19-2021 at 12:43.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I understand the Valmets are also banned from import . I'm sure anyone who owns one will expect a significant premium if he were to sell, and he'd probably only sell if his wife needed a kidney.

Century imports (read that WASRs) actually have a good rep once you get past the fact they can be butt ugly, even for an AK. The old boy on the net who runs AK 4774 Operator's Union has over 10,000 rounds through an old WASR with hardly hiccup.

AKs just vary a lot which is one reason why the AK crowd is so pickey. Unlike ARs they can run from "garbage sticks" to great rifles.
    yup, Valmet's and the original Galil's (basically rated #2 or tied with Polytech) were banned in 89 by Bush I ,

damn shame that was not turned over, the prices practically doubled in a year, and with the limited numbers imported, they are crazy,

I have a line of a Valmet w\ extra factory mags,, (mags are worth $200- $350 each, depending on model) and have several interested if I end up with it,

RobSli,, the guy at AK operator union, posts over on Gunboards,, pretty interesting guy,

and the Century RAS 47's and C39's are the ones everyone hates,

I only have one,, an older Chinese model, fixed stock, in 223,

it shoots well, but I am an AR guy (Service Rifle)

Need a firearm, get a lever-action 30-30, easier to find some ammo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjrothWA View Post
    Need a firearm, get a lever-action 30-30, easier to find some ammo.
    HA!!

Not lately!!!

sells out everywhere quickly here,

but then again, most stuff does

I have a 1986 Romanian WASR 10 under folder that I trade for years ago. It's in perfect condition and runs flaawlessly. AK's are going up in price daily. When I trade for mine i swapped a Rem. 1903A3 for it. That Rem. was a cantankerous ol devil and I didn't like it!

Never got the AK attraction. My BIL has a Norinco SKS, seemed like a nice gun last time I saw it, 15 years ago. No idea if he has taken care of it or not since last I saw of it (he is a bit of a leave-his-tools-in-the-rain type). That gun was reasonably accurate, but as jjrothWA suggests, my Marlin 336C with a cheapo Bushnell scope can shoot circles around it. If hitting what one is aiming at is still part of it.

Blog Entries

AK's are tools that are made to work, regardless of condition or treatment,

accuracy measured by man size targets, not by SR,,

I only have the one,, and will likely get rid of it one day,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    AK's are tools that are made to work, regardless of condition or treatment,

accuracy measured by man size targets, not by SR,,

I only have the one,, and will likely get rid of it one day,
    If you're going to unload it now might be the time. Plain old WASR 10s are selling for $1,200.00 + or - $100.00 where I am. You being in the business...I'm sure you know that.
    Last edited by Art; 03-06-2021 at 03:35.