Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Art

1. Default Art

How you and your neighbors doing? Have you got water or are the lines frozen? Friend in DFW lives close to a regional medical center so they have power but nearby is dark.

Guess the question should be do you have electricity.

In our house we have electricity and water. We had the taps open at a trickle and opened them wide for a half minute or so every couple of hours. We slept in shifts the last two nights making sure the pipes were clear. Our daughter and her family have electricity but had a pipe in a downstairs interior wall break, the damage is minimal but of course now they don't have water. Our son has had off and on power in San Antonio.

We live close to a high school that doubles as a shelter which I believe gives us a leg up when it comes to keeping power.

Thank you for asking.

Not Art but live a few miles from him I think. 55% of our local power company is without power. Thats 1.2 million customers. It doesn't seem like much headway is being made. The outages are all over the Houston Metro. We are blessed as we still have power.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

I feel sorry for you guys in TX, my bride and I have experienced similar over our 40 year marriage. South of us got nailed hard with ice, our power flickered for a few seconds. How are you guy's staying warm?
    Sam

I experienced a Houston snowstorm back in the mid 70's. The North Freeway was littered with wrecks and spinouts from downtown out to the beltway. Only two of us showed up for work that morning. Myself and a fellow from Detroit.
    The city isn't prepared for it. Having a fleet of plows and salt trucks ready for just in case is a complete waste of funds.

Living back up north now. In the past couple of weeks we've had snow nearly everyday. Over a foot last night which is always a PIA. Average of 40 inches on the ground now. Utilities are braced for it as its the norm. Some people forget how to drive in it. Most everyone remembers how to walk in it. Shovelling is another story. By the time you get a system down pat, you're too danged old to go at it balls to the wall.

Who in Texas owns a snowblower? Or even a snow shovel for that matter? Sorel boots? Fleece lined leather work gloves which have been waterproofed? How to layer lightweight clothing for warmth and breathability? I worked some cold winters in Texas but they were no worse than a rough autumn morning up north.

Hang in there. Keep dry and stay warm. The sun will be out and it will all seem like a bad dream. Just remember that grain shovels double as snow shovels, and the piles you make are excellent beer coolers. Natures ice house!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I actually was in Texas in the 70's. I remember getting snow in Kingsville. They had us go out and sweep snow off the planes. I really liked winter in Texas, just about perfect. Except when it rained for ten days. Phoenix missed this whole thing. It just grazed the NE corner. A little windy.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

This is a mess, mostly man made in my opinion. Instead of the out of power numbers going down they are higher then a few hours ago. 1.4 million customers have no power. Luckily many have stayed off of the roads. I will now be putting in a whole house generator as we are getting older and don't want to deal with this crap in the future.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    This is a mess, mostly man made in my opinion. Instead of the out of power numbers going down they are higher then a few hours ago. 1.4 million customers have no power. Luckily many have stayed off of the roads. I will now be putting in a whole house generator as we are getting older and don't want to deal with this crap in the future.
    Not a bad idea. Climate is changing and as I recall your area flood plain maps change faster than Chicago weather. Something else will happen hot or cold. Until there are some infrastructure changes and your power companies can agree on a grid system that allows for better rerouting and more efficient emergency services...
    Our power outages usually last for hours at worst. Not for days unless its an isolated incident. Longest I ever had to do without was a couple of days. So localized due to a blown transformer that my neighbor was up and running but I wasn't.
    150 feet of cord kept my refrigerator and freezer running, (good neighbor) but we lived with oil lamps for lighting.

That having been said, whole house generators are becoming a point of interest here too. Our grid seems to be aging faster all the time and upgrades can't be done in a year or two.

The unusual weather will be over by the weekend and it will be time for those affected by the power failures to consider a back-up generator. They should be installed by professionals, can be permanently and safely wired into your electrical system, should be fueled by propane or natural gas and can start automatically when a power failure occurs. Size is important. A 20 KW rated generator can continuously power a whole house.

The weather reached out and touched me today. ATM's are down around here. Went to three different locations only to see the same sign. Since I was in a bank lobby I asked one of the tellers. (slow time of the day so I was the only one there.)
    ATM's are down around Chicago from a bank based in Detroit because of power being down across Texas.

I remember a time when that would have been impossible to believe.

Heard from friends in Harris County TX today as well as someone in Houston proper. I feel the anguish and frustration. Also the blame game has started, or so I'm told. SOMEBODY has to be at fault.
    Never mind each section of cable between poles suddenly became a quarter ton heavier with ice.