Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    The ERC (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) the power grid custodian of Texas, has stated the main factors of power loss are due to frozen instruments at Natural Gas, Coal, and Nuclear facilities. The wind turbines are the "least significant factor."

Makes a great talking point though when you're upset at the world.
    Maybe the hinges on the gate to the power plants are also frozen. Makes about as much sense. Texas governor said investigation of ERC and solar power was coming.

Blog Entries

read elsewhere that Texas has a handful of Co-ops that have limited connectivity between themselves,

so the electric group in one county or region may not have open lines (so to speak) to share any excess or take in any needed power except on limited basis,

this came from some that lived in texas

3. Default

The electric cooperatives generally have a single metering point with a public electric utility rather than their own generating facilities. As such they don't have the facilities to switch to another source of electricity if the single circuit feeding them is lost.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The electric cooperatives generally have a single metering point with a public electric utility rather than their own generating facilities. As such they don't have the facilities to switch to another source of electricity if the single circuit feeding them is lost.
    that is likely want the article I read was saying,

read also that the nuke plant is shut down for whatever reason and some NG plants are struggling with the cold,

5. Default

Average cost of electricity in Texas was 11.67/kWh and going through the roof + no ability to import from the grid. Commie, blue Maryland 6.79/kWh with from a heavily maintained Eastern grid with the ability to import or export. Tell Governor Ahbutt to learn about leadership and planning and to quit worrying about whether or not the Mavericks play the National Anthem before the start of games.

6. Default

By the way, Ted (ferret face) Cruz is freezing to death in Cancun.

Quote Originally Posted by oscars View Post
    What did my senator do to you that makes you call him names? I don't care if he is on vacation
    . He represents me at the federal level and can do nothing at the state to help with this situation.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by oscars View Post
    Guys like you crack me up on this. I could post a list of all the Democrats who bailed during a crisis including the current COVID scare. I did that recently on another subject including a video of Nancy Pelosi doing stuff the guys on your side were castigating Trump for at the same time.

The current wisdom: There were some organic problems in the Texas grid that facilitated the current shutdowns, along with the failure of some producers to institute state mandated winterizing proceedures, as well as the problems with an above ground transmission system during an event like this; but the power losses affected just over 10% of the population and mostly in a few high density areas. Almost everybody was back on line in less than 72 hours, though there are still enough without power to be concerning. Most of the problems are actually easily addressable and it took a truly unusual event to expose them.

Also you don't live in Texas, I gather. In Texas the cost of electricity per KWH is negotiable. About 5 years ago I decided I was paying too much and went with a different vendor. My old company called me two days later and beat the new companies rate.

I have my last bill in front of me and last month I payed $.085 per KWH up to 1,000 kwh meaning my bill this month using limited AC due to a hot spell, tax, title and license was $101.00 all in. In the blistering heat of the summer my electric bill never cracked $170.00 for a month last year with my A/C set on 76 day, 74 at night. My current company even has rebates. Now your mileage may vary depending on how you manage utilities and whether your house is all electric or has gas appliances.. If I think its too high I just go to a different provider who is glad to make me a heck of a deal. I was paying over $250.00 a month, probably $350.00 adjusted for inflation 30 years ago under a govt. monopoly system similar to that in your beloved Maryland. Now making my house more efficient has helped too but not as much as being able to shop rates.

I just reminded myself, my contract ends next month, time to negotiate a new deal.

Oh, as to Texas having its own grid; that'll make things easier when we secede .
    Last edited by Art; 02-18-2021 at 11:13. Reason: Redundancy, grammar, accuracy

Blog Entries

Texas can't be too indignant when they hold their hand out like everyone else to the USG. ERCOT chose to invest in green energy, just as they may have chosen to not winterize systems that were identified in 2011 as critical or vulnerable.

No amount of energy protection can stop some people from using their stove to heat the house...that's simply desperation or stupidity.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    Texas can't be too indignant when they hold their hand out like everyone else to the USG. ERCOT chose to invest in green energy, just as they may have chosen to not winterize systems that were identified in 2011 as critical or vulnerable.

No amount of energy protection can stop some people from using their stove to heat the house...that's simply desperation or stupidity.
    Pretty much the case. Especially the stupidity part.

By the way, the biggest problems down here at this point of the current emergency isn't the availability of electricity but the availability of water.
    Last edited by Art; 02-18-2021 at 11:54.