Default N.R.A. Sporter replacement barrel

Some years ago I obtained a new replacement barrel for an N.R.A. Sporter. The barrel was still in it's original wrap inside the S.A. shipping tube addressed to a Mr. A. Bijou, San Francisco, Ca. The original star gage card was also included. The only thing missing was the shipping ticket. The star gage # A-528 on the barrel matches the number entered on the card along with the work order, 333-1. The date on the barrel is 5-38 and was star gaged by P.V. Barrey on 6-14-38. The barrel does not have the star marking on the muzzle at 6:00. I seem to remember that J. Peppers has a like barrel made and shipped about the same time as the one that I have. If I remember correctly, his barrel is also lacking the marking on the muzzle.

Being as how the star gage mark on then muzzle was introduced in 1921 and this also was about the time that N.M. rifles really became available for sales I have always wondered whether or not the mark was put on the muzzle to identify to S.A. that the original installation and barrel work was done by the Armory at Springfield, without them having to go to the records or disassemble the rifle to verify that S.A. did the work if the rifle was shipped back to them for barrel work.

Any thoughts?
    J.J.

I seem to remember that after a certain date the barrels were not always marked on the muzzle. The fact that the barrel has a star gage number on the barrel as well as the record card is proof positive that they were star gaged.

I have an early Sporter that has a replacement Sporter barrel dated 9-35 that does not have the mark on the muzzle, but has the star gage record number. Also the original barrel was "fitted with base for Winchester telescopic sight." Apparently both mounts were on the barrel, as the receiver is not drilled and tapped for the rear base.

I have the shipping ticket with my spare barrel, and price was $11.90 plus a $1.35 packing charge.