Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1880 trb

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    Well ya never know Fred, there’s always one in the litter you can’t wait to leave
    Sorry to rain on your parade, Carl, but Fred and I have had this "68/68 fellowship" going for over forty years now - and we have a mutual "first-refusal" pact in effect. We consulted on this one, and, though sorely tempted, I finally elected not to bid.

Even though I'm really no longer a buyer, I would always "steal" a great rarity, or a very nice piece if one turned up (cheap) in the bushes. And, before I sell my 1870 date, I'd like to have a minty 1869 date just for fun, and to duplicate Graham Burnside's old picture of the three dates side by side.

Well Dick that’s nice that you and Fred have had a long collecting relationship together for many years. I do not know what you mean however by raining on my parade? I don’t see the harm in making an offer as you never know what’s around the corner.
    If I had really wanted a 68/68 that one I would have never posted here. I did so because I knew that others here would possibly have more of an interest than myself even though I did put in a couple earlier bids. No heart break on my part. My earlier post to Fred was mainly humor towards his rifles producing a litter. I have a very nice 68/69 that was purchased from Al. In the 1400 range and I’m more than pleased with it. My main interest is in finding an 1870 type I which seems to be an elusive find.

I think I had one of those once. It had a single shoulder rod and had the number 17 on the left side of barrel and receiver.
    Maybe the very first production rifles were numbered before the practice was stopped?
    One corner of its thumb latch was rounded.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-16-2021 at 08:47.

Unless Dick wants any of mine, I don’t think that I’ll be selling any of my 68/68 rifles anytime soon.
    When I’m too old and out of it, many years from now, I think I’ll want to sell them all together to a Trapdoor Collector who feels that he or she can’t live without them, however many there might be at that time!
    Last edited by Fred; 03-16-2021 at 01:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    Well Dick that’s nice that you and Fred have had a long collecting relationship together for many years. I do not know what you mean however by raining on my parade? I don’t see the harm in making an offer as you never know what’s around the corner.
    If I had really wanted a 68/68 that one I would have never posted here. I did so because I knew that others here would possibly have more of an interest than myself even though I did put in a couple earlier bids. No heart break on my part. My earlier post to Fred was mainly humor towards his rifles producing a litter. I have a very nice 68/69 that was purchased from Al. In the 1400 range and I’m more than pleased with it. My main interest is in finding an 1870 type I which seems to be an elusive find.
    There was no harm in you making an offer, of course, and humor is always welcome! I only meant that the likelihood of getting a 68/68 out of either of one of us would be doomed to failure! Nothing personal at all. I do wish you luck in your search for an 1870 - and, should I run across one, I'll let you know at once.