Thread: The Outpost

Default The Outpost

2020 movie recounting of the Oct. 3, 2009 Battle of Kamdesh in the war in Afghanistan tells the story of the 79 American, 42 Afghan and 2 Latvian soldiers defending Outpost Keating, an indefensible position in a valley in the Hindu Kush mountains. The first battle in 50 yeas in which two men received the MOH in one engagement. There were also two DSCs and numerous other decorations for valor.

The movie is gripping and a graphic example of the courage and dedication of the defenders as well the consequences of chain of command screw ups.

Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Art; 02-12-2021 at 06:36. Reason: Accuracy

Blog Entries

I would also recommend the MOH series on Netflix. The episode on this battle interviews the MOH recipients. It would be a good companion watch.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

In any other war this battle would have been in the papers and on the evening news.

Blog Entries

I remember hearing about it in 2009 due to my line of work, but Camp Keating was a strategic failure. They were lucky to get out as bad as it was.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    In any other war this battle would have been in the papers and on the evening news.
    I remember reading about it in the online New York Times, about the battle itself as it happened (sometimes just "in other action today") and then there was an in-depth follow up article about the whole fight.

jn