Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The disease persists lol

Default The disease persists lol

My new TD from Al. Been holding out for some time searching for an 1870 type l with no luck. This one Al posted and just had to get it!
    It is a late M73 but when I looked it up on SRS, not listed of course the ones around the serial number are listed as M84. Serial is 270879 and cartouche date is 1884. Why would it be listed as an M84 especially since it has a buckhorn rear sight.BCC847B3-5CAC-4BF8-978B-CCA843E833E1.jpgE7D9FF1A-910C-4A7C-BC0A-518FCE07CE80.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    . . . . .Serial is 270879 and cartouche date is 1884. Why would it be listed as an M84 especially since it has a buckhorn rear sight. . . . .
    Human error at SRS, I think . . . .

Al had it listed correctly.

I'm sure Al had it listed correctly, I don't doubt Al. Just wondering why SRS had it listed as an M84.
    Do not have the actual books but rather a thumb drive with the SRS data.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures did not come out great. Took them and posted from my iPad. Can't figure out how to post pictures from my phone🙄

Congratulations and I would love to see larger pictures!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    I'm sure Al had it listed correctly, I don't doubt Al. Just wondering why SRS had it listed as an M84.
    Do not have the actual books but rather a thumb drive with the SRS data.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures did not come out great. Took them and posted from my iPad. Can't figure out how to post pictures from my phone��
    Download the pics to your computer then post them like you would any other. You'll need one of the newer braided-cord USBxcamera ones. A regular charging cord, even though the ends look the same, won't transfer data.

I always figured that if a earlier rifle was upgraded with the buffington sights it was now considered a m84, My guess is since yours was never updated it is still considered a m73 and probably would of been listed as m73 if it was in the srs. ???? at least I would think thats how it works.

And then, there are all the old "close" warnings. Since YOUR number wasn't listed, what happened "around" it doesn't really mean a great deal.

Yes, I too believe that the army often - if not always - considered a late '73 to be an '84 (and so accounted for it in the records) if the sight had been changed.

Once I download pics to my computer I'll post some. Now adays I rarely turn the thing on other than to do my banking.

Dick, don't have a cord for the iPad yet. I do have one for my phone just haven't turned on my computer yet to transfer them. Figured they would look better from the iPad "NOT" 😂
    There are pictures still on Al's site.
    Other than some compression dings on one side the rifle looks unisued. Blueing is awesome! Breach block has light case colors and the tang also has some nice case colors.

- - - Updated - - -

I also purchased a really really really nice bayonet and scabbard from Al to go with the rifle.