1. Default Trapdoor carbine

I am a new member and I just noticed the person looking for info on his carbine. I also just obtained one from an estate. It has a serial number of 144179. It is not reflected in SRS. Could be 5th Cav. or not. Dog you seem to have incite into these serial numbers. Any thoughts from anyone. I am into the history of these old weapons and not interested in selling etc.

Chris

If it's not in SRS, your chances have gone from really bleak (about 5% of coverage) to impossibly bleak - NO hope at all. The good news is that that IS a known carbine range and thus probably legitimate, as opposed to the thousands of made-up ones. If you post pictures, we can help with any questions you might have. I MAY be the person to whom you referred, but my interest (so far as recording numbers is concerned) is limited to "long-wrist" first models below 50,000.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-03-2021 at 08:41.

3. Default

Dick, Thank you for the reply. That is what I thought. However have you ever done any work with the national archives on something like this or is that a waste of time?
    Also this carbine has stamped into the top of the breechblock 400 and underneath 7/12 . I have read somewhere that that is a rack or lot number. However the military ,at least now, does not carve lot numbers or rack numbers into metal. Any thoughts.
    Thanks
    Chris

You're quite welcome! As to the NA, that's where the SRS data was obtained many years ago. I doubt there is much that they missed, and the research process is bewilderingly complex for walk-ins. Too, the records are gradually 'eroding'. Frank Mallory (SRS) told me years ago that frequently, when returning to verify a record, the document could not be found again. He said it was EXTREMELY frustrating, and one can only assume the situation has probably gotten worse.

Have never seen a number stamped on the top of the block, and only a few on the bottom, then never with a slash, just a 2-digit number. Rack numbers were on the wood, some stamped, some painted, some a combination of the two. Even then the army did not permit such marks - but it was common on NG/state militia guns, especially the M1888 rod-bayonet rifles from the Span-Am War period.

5. Default

Dick, Sent you an e mail with 2 pics

Yes, I have them. Looks all good other than that I cannot tell if the hammer is the later style with "lip" underneath or not. The marks you said were on the block (which is unheard of) are actually on the receiver, which, while not common, are not all that unusual.

7. Default

Sorry about that. Yes they are on the receiver. Any idea what they signify?

I'd only be guessing - some sort of inventory/control perhaps? There is, AFAIK, virtually ZERO reference material on such marking(s). About the only thing on which there is any sort of real agreement is that such marks were almost certainly NOT done by the US Army.

9. Default

The plot thickens. I agree that the Army probably would not have done that. It is too bad we cannot track the serial number. If I find out anything will let you know. Thanks for the help

Chris